Chapter 2

僕の母さんは弟を産んだ後、『さんごのひだち』が悪いらしくて、ずっとベットから出られない。
After mother gave birth to our youngest brother, she suffered from a poor postpartum recovery and has been confined to bed ever since.

兄さんは商店を継ぐために、勉強しに小学校に行ってるんだ。
Elder brother is abroad attending grammar school in preparation for succeeding the family business.

弟は赤ちゃんだから乳母さんが見てる。
Our youngest brother, as he is still a nursling, is in the care of a wet nurse.

僕も10歳になったら小学校に行くらしい。
And it appears that I also will be sent to grammar school the summer I turn ten.

でも、今はまだ6歳だから家でお留守番。
But for now, I am only six years old and consequently stuck in the house.

だから父さんが、僕が一人で寂しいんじゃないかって、商談に連れて行ってくれるんだけど・・・
Father brings me along on business trips to keep me from getting lonely staying by myself, but...

正直、家か店に残っていた方が、マシだと思ってる。
to tell the truth I would have preferred being left behind in the house or the store, or so I felt.

連れて行かれても、結局は馬車の中でお留守番だし、馬車の中は退屈。
Despite coming along with the trips, I only ended up being stuck in the carriage, worn down from tedium.

だけど馬車から出た時に、ウッカリ商談相手の貴族の子供に見つかったりしたら
Even so, if I come out of the carriage, I run the risk of bumping into the children of the nobles we do business with.

散々庶民だからって馬鹿にされたり、酷い時には暴力を振るわれたりする。
Invariably making sport of me because I am a commoner, sometimes resorting to violence as they are struck by fits of cruelty.

イジメられ続けて、最近、自分の見た目が嫌いにもなって来た。
Recently, due to the continued harrassment, even I myself have come to despise my own appearance.

目が細いから、目が開いてるのかどうか分からないって、馬鹿にされるし。
My eyes are shaped rather thinly, it's impossible to tell if I have them open, they would tease.

フワフワとまとまりの無い髪も、中に何か住んで居るんじゃないかって、揶揄われて、掴まれるし。
My fluffy and shapeless hair, "something must be living in it!" They would ridicule it and tear at it.

もう、貴族なんて偉そうだし、意地悪だし、嫌いだ。
Those nobles with their stuck up bearings and their snide malicious ways, I'm sick of them all.

そう言って、父さんに行きたくないって、言えれば良いんだけど
As it is, I can't go to father about all this. Even though I know it would be fine to just tell him.

父さんが僕たちの為に、一生懸命に仕事をしている事も
Father is giving his job all he has for our sakes. I know this.

3人兄弟の真ん中で、放置されがちの僕を心配している事も、知っているから
I also know that of the three of us, father is most troubled about my current situation.

父さんに心配をかけたくなくて、言えずにいる。
Because I don't want to trouble father any further, I can't say anything.

今日、父さんに連れられて来たのは、ロッテンシュタイン公爵のお屋敷だった。
Today father has brought me to the residence of Duke Rotenstein.