3

It was finally Thursday night, the night I'd be going to the movies with Danielle. After getting home from school, I headed straight to my closet. I wanted to look nice when we went out, but not too nice like it was a date. After a while of contemplation, I settled on a red shirt with a black jean skirt and my red converse. I brushed through my hair and looked in the mirror. I smiled, I was about to go meet up with a girl that I liked. Sure we just met, but maybe she'll be just like me. Another girl who likes girls. Or as my new school would put it, a freak. I headed downstairs and raced out the door. I hopped in my car and drove to Starcourt Mall. To calm down my nerves, I sang to the music playing on the radio. As excited as I was, I was nervous. Danielle was really pretty and I got butterflies when I saw her. After parking my car, I ran into the mall and went to the movie theater. I bought two tickets for Back to the Future and looked around to see Danielle. As I was looking, I turned around and saw a red haired girl wearing a black and purple romper.

"Danielle!" I exclaimed. She smiled at me as I gave her the second ticket.

"Back to the Future?" She asked as if she didn't know what the movie was.

"I've watched it with Steve, it's amazing. You'll love it," I reassured her.

"Alright," she responded, "what's up with you and Steve anyway? Is he like your boyfriend?"

I chuckled, "no, he's not really my type. We're just friends."

Danielle smiled when I said that. Then she took my hand and we headed over to the concessions stand. I blushed as our hands touched. She bought us a bucket of popcorn to share and I bought us slurpees.

"Shall we go and watch the movie?" She asked. I nodded and we found our seats.

During the movie I would glance over at Danielle. Her smile could light up a whole room. I also noticed that whenever she laughed, she had a tendency to tuck her hair behind her ear. At one point during the movie, our hands touched as we grabbed some popcorn. As our hands touched, we smiled at each other. I could've sworn I saw her face turn red too.

When the movie ended, we headed out of the theater. "So what did you think of the movie?" I asked.

"Was it just me, or was that mom trying to bang her son?" Danielle asked.

I giggled, "no, no, you're right. But to be fair, she had no idea he was her son at the time."

Danielle giggled and nodded, "what would you say if I asked you to come over for a sleepover on Saturday?"

"I would love to," I told her. She smiled at me and started to walk away.

"I'll see you later, Robin," she said as she left the theater.

"See ya," I said as she walked out the door.
...

"So...how was your movie with Danielle?" Steve asked. After I left the movies, I decided to stop at Steve's house and hang over there for a bit.

"It was amazing, she's really sweet. I think we're going to get along just fine. I have a good feeling about her," I said.

Steve smiled, "good for you robs, you're finally starting to make friends." I smiled back at him and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I just want to let you know that I've had a great summer with you," I told steve.

"Yeah me too," he agreed, "I'm really glad I met you."

I smiled at his response and we sat for a while in silence. It was a comfortable silence. Steve and I did this a lot. Some of our best conversations were the unspoken ones. I was really glad to have a friend like Steve. And who knows, maybe soon I'll tell him about how I feel about girls. But then again, I'm too scared to lose him.
...
The next day at school, I sat by Johnathan and Nancy at lunch. We've been hanging out in classes and I'd consider us friends.

"So during summer you guys interned at the Hawkins Post?" I asked them, "how was that?"

"It was great! I was their photographer and for the first time people were glad to see what I could do." Johnathan responded. I smiled and looked over at Nancy who gave what looked like a forced smile.

"It was alright," Nancy started to say, "let's just say that you aren't considered useful there if aren't a man."

"Aw, Nancy, that really sucks," I said.

Nancy shrugged, "well, there's not much that anyone can do about it." Johnathan put his arm around her.

"It's their loss. They just didn't see how amazing you are," he said and gave Nancy a kiss on her cheek.

I smiled at them. They really were in love. The way the looked at each other and they always were there for each other. I want that. To be loved. But I know that my love story won't be an easy road to take. I know that I'll never be in a normal relationship. I wouldn't be happy. I sighed as I looked over and saw Danielle. She was sitting by the theater kids. She tucked her red hair behind her ears as she laughed something the girl next to her said.

"Robin," Johnathan brought me back from my thoughts as he waved a hand in my face, "are you okay?"

I nodded, "yeah, of course."

"What were you looking at?" Nancy asked.

"Just someone," I responded.

Nancy smirked, "someone that you might like perhaps?"

"Maybe, I think I might at least," I said.

"Who is it?" She asked.

"Oh, no one," I said.

Nancy smiled and laughed a little. "Okay...whatever you say."

Oh shit, I thought. I've got a crush on Danielle.