Chapter 1: Eye of the Beholder, Pt. 1 (Reign)

I tousled a bit of my hair as I followed closely behind Fishlegs and Meatlug, taking careful steps so I wouldn't disturb the dragon and endanger the children on her back. Meatlug was docile, but when someone spooked her, she would destroy anything in her path. I listened carefully to Fishlegs' lesson on the history of dragons on Berk, occasionally correcting him when he recalled an instance incorrectly. The children's eyes were wide with wonder as he spoke, perhaps slightly in disbelief that this had all happened on their home island.

"...And if you look closely at the walls of the Great Hall, you'll still see puncture marks where the Speed Stingers attacked." The children gasped and muttered in awe. "Interesting fact about these dragons—"

The sound of wings flapping above us drew Fishlegs' and my eyes to a large, black dragon circling us. A wide smile spread onto my face as the rider smiled down at me, then moved to try and land. At the same time, Stoick and Gobber emerged from the Great Hall.

"Oh! Oh, look, kids!" Fishlegs squealed. "We're in luck. Here come two of Berk's most famous heroes."

"Ho, ho, heroes?" Stoick chuckled. "I've got some chiefing to do, but I suppose I could spare a moment—"

"Hiccup, and the amazing Toothless!"

The kids cheered as Hiccup landed, sliding off Toothless and making his way over to me. I placed my hands on his arms as he leaned down, bringing our lips together quickly.

"Did you find anything new?" He shook his head.

"Nothing, yet. I just wanted to come back really quick and say hello before heading back out again." I shook my head, chuckling.

"Don't wear him out." I pointed at Toothless, who absentmindedly scratched something behind his ear plates.

"Yes, ma'am." He mock saluted me before rushing back toward Toothless. I was about to resume my walk with Fishlegs, when something popped into my head.

"Hey, babe?" I called. He turned his head to look back at me. "Astrid's still out there patrolling. Can you just check and make sure she's okay?" His curious expression melted into a smile.

"Will do," he agreed before taking off on Toothless again. Once he was out of earshot, Fishlegs dismissed his class for the day and turned to face me.

"So... nothing yet?" I scoffed and shook my head, waving my hand dismissively in his direction.

"Of course not. He's Hiccup—he wants to go out and explore the world and find new dragons before settling down."

"But—you've been together for three years!" he protested. "And you love each other, and we've all been expecting it!"

"Ah, I'm sure that makes him feel so much better about it." I reached over and smacked his arm. "Don't let people bug him about proposing. It'll happen when it happens, if it happens."

This is Berk.

Yeah, it's been three whole years since the war with the Berserkers. And Berk has changed a lot. But then again, so have we. Snotlout works at the armory. Gobber gave him the title of 'Official Weapons Tester'. The twins, to absolutely no one's surprise, have dedicated their lives, to Loki—the god of pranks.

Lucky us.

And then there's Fishlegs, who has really found his calling, teaching the children of Berk the history of dragons.