Part 52: Potatoes

The sun beat down on you as you helped
Enid in the gardens. Your dad would constantly shout at you to be careful every so often. You looked up annoyingly at the sky, squinting as it burned your eyes, instantly making you return your gaze back to the dirt. You let out a sigh and put your hands on your hips. "Why's it so hot?"

Enid chuckled at you and shook her head. She was sitting on her knees by the edge of the garden digging holes to put seeds in. "are you going back to Alexandria with Jesus later? He's stopping by to get some more supplies" Enid motioned for you to get back to work and continue the conversation with her. You did as she implied and kneeled back down to the dirt.

"If, you know who, lets me" you nudged your head in the direction of Negan. "Heard that" he commented giving you a glare, you returned a sweet innocent smile.

You turned your head to continue talking to Enid but was interrupted. "You can go" you snapped your head around to look at him with a shocked expression on your face. "I gotta go back to the saviors, sort some shit out. So after that I'll come to Alexandria" a smile crept it's way onto your face as you mouthed him a 'thank you'.

Carl sat down at the dinner table a disappointed look on his face. Abraham, Eugene, Michonne, and Rick all sat at the table preparing their own plates. Judith was in bed and had already eaten her dinner. Sometimes Michonne would feed her at the dinner table with the rest of the group but most of the time she fed her before everyone else so that everyone could have a peaceful dinner.

Michonne offered Carl the bowl of potatoes but he just shook his head. She let out air from her nose from frustration, "you need to eat" she whispered to Carl, he just shot her a glare. She leaned closer to him, "Jesus isn't back yet. You don't know if she's with him so chill." Michonne threatened firmly in a whisper tone not wanting to embarrass him before handing the potatoes to Eugene.

"If I may ask, why is that negative expression on your face?" Eugene spoke to Carl as he put potatoes on his plate. Carl looked at Eugene with a slight shocked expression considering Eugene barely ever talked to him.

"I was hoping I'd see someone today but I didn't so"

You leaned your shoulder on the wall that entered into the kitchen and dining room, crossing your arms across your chest. "You better mean me" you spoke making your presence in the room known. Carl turned his whole body in his chair to look at you. You cocked your head to the side and smirked at him. A look of relief and happiness spread across his face as he got up from his chair causing it to squeak against the floor.

"Careful" you said with a laugh as you stood up straight and opened your arms for Carl. He gladly accepted and wrapped you into a tight hug. "I've been working I'm sorry if I stink" you joked some of your words being muffled from the hug. "I don't care" he whispered into your hair and squeezed tighter.

Wow did you miss this boy. Michonne glanced at Rick with a smile on her face 'told you" she mouthed to him, he just smiled and shook his head.
Carl let go of you allowing both of you to walk over to the table, Carl sitting back down in his seat. You stood behind Carl at his seat considering you didn't plan on staying for food.

"Ah shit, you lived, I thought we finally got rid of you this time" Abraham joked giving you a warm smile earning a few laughs from around the table. Abraham didn't have a big role in your life but you could sit and listen to him make jokes all day. Sometimes you'd go sit on watch with him just to hear some of his humor. He was one of the funniest people you ever met.

"I happen to think it's really fascinating that Y/n survives almost everything" Eugene had a funny way of talking, it was really amusing to you. "Thank you Eugene" you replied with a smile and he nodded his head at you. "I just wanted to stop by, show y'all I'm still alive" you placed a hand on Carl's shoulder causing him to look up at you "but I'm gonna go see Daryl".

You looked down at Carl giving him a soft smile, you playfully flicked his sheriffs hat from behind causing it to cover his eye. "Eat" you said with chuckle pointing at the food on the table. He looked down and laughed as he repositioned the hat onto his head.

"I'll see you guys later" you gave a wave to the table and they all muttered a bye back, stepping back out into the cool nighttime air. Carl reached his hand out to Eugene engaging in conversation, "can I have the potatoes?"