04 | ASHES FALL

ASHES FALL

This wasn't a normal bomb explosion. I can't imagine how many bombs were in and around the area. Both from us and them because he planned to destroyed his warehouse from the very beginning. God, he was such a dick.

My body detaches from the earth and hurtles towards the sky life a fireball. I can remember this feeling, this feeling jogs a memory from when I was three years old or maybe younger.

I am in my father's hands and he is holding me close to him and then he defies gravity and thrusts me into the sky and I can remember my laughter in my mouth and the feeling of escaping. I was free from this Earth but then it claims me before the stars can clasp at my outreached hands.

And like then, when my body has gone as high as gravity will let it, it comes crashing towards earth hard and fast. Only this time my father is not there to catch me when I fall.

I realize that maybe this is why people are afraid of falling. The uncertainty of where and how hard you'll land. I crash into DJ and the we slam into hard Earth.

Arms and hands are being hooked under me before I realize what's happening and my vision is too dizzy to see anything but orange, yellow, and red as the world is set to flames. Whoever is dragging me is struggling and I know that they have to be hurt.

The feeling of being thrown into the air like a rag doll masked the shrapnel that had released into the sky. I could feel some of it raining down on our bodies as we ran, but some of it had made it's way into my neck and back.

The COM is no longer in my ear and the world is roaring at me. Whoever was dragging me stops and lays me down before straddling me. Their hands take ahold of my face and shake it.

"Look at me." Her voice is demanding and I get my wobbling eyes to find her. Her black hair and blue eyes are all I can see, her face is blurred beyond recognition but I know who it is, it's Lila. "Get your ass up, I can't carry you for a mile."

She can. I know that she can, I also know that she's not doing this to be a bitch but she's being a real bitch at the moment. My appendages are tingly and numb and I don't know if I am going to be able to get up.

I close my eyes only for a second when a hard slap sears into my cheeks. I lurch forward and I realize that Lila is holding me up by my shirt. Then she is pulling me to my feet by my shirt and I relent to her forcefulness. My eyes begin to clear as she stables me on my feet and wraps an arm around my waist. "Forward."

"I can't." I gasp for air as I struggle to knees but Lila is pulling me up before I can make it.

"If you die, I'm going to resurrect you and then kill you, again." She hisses. A part of me wouldn't be surprised if she actually did it. "Scream."

"What?" My head just feels so heavy.

"Each step you take, scream."

"N-no, tha-"

"Scream, Sapphire."

I scream with each step. It's an awkward guttural scream but one nevertheless. The scream pounds through my head like a freight train but I continue to do it. I take a step forward and pain shoots through every muscle but Lila's dedication to keeping me alive is weakening my mind from shock. We're going faster and faster until we're full on drunk girl running. Lila doesn't let me fall even when my concussion causes my feet to trip over themselves.

My head feels heavy as I look forward through lead eyelids. I can see my team running ahead towards the place the helicopter is. The world is on fire and all I can do is run and scream. We run through a burning wheat field and I giggle as it tickles me.