CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX | BREAK OUT

"DIDN'T THINK I'D EVER SEE YOU AGAIN

"DIDN'T THINK I'D EVER SEE YOU AGAIN." James' mouth was dry, and his voice cracked as he spoke. Aerona couldn't help but feel bad for the boy, knowing full well how torturous the dungeons could be.

"Well, here I am. Decided I wouldn't leave you down here without an explanation." She walked closer to James, but he flinched and jerked backwards as she approached. "You don't have to fear me, I'm not the one who put you here."

"I know full well who put me here. Trouble is, you work for him. He's a cruel man and I don't see why you're here."

"That's too bad. I was actually thinking about getting you out of here." He looked up at her, staring into her eyes. She guessed he was looking for the truth in them.

"How do I know that I can trust you?"

"You don't. You just have to take a leap."

"I'm not one to find out how things are. I prefer knowing the facts." He searched her eyes, looking for something that he would never find. After all, he couldn't follow someone blindly and he had no idea who she was. All he knew is that she knew his face and that was it.

"Well, it's a long story really. One we don't have time for. I have to get you out of here before anyone suspects anything. Tomorrow, I'll bring you food and clothes to hide in while we get out."

"Why would you help me?" She sighed and slid down the wall, landing next to him. Again, he shifted away slightly, not wanting to be too close to her.

"Look, I get it. You think I work for a bad guy so I must be one too. But I'm not. And I never plan to be. I know you're a good guy. You don't deserve to be down here."

"And yet, here I am."

"Yeah. And I can't help but think that it's my fault. After all, I told them about you. But I didn't really have to; they already knew."

"But, why me? What could I have possibly done?" Aerona fiddled with her skirt uncomfortably, not really wanting to say what she thought.

"Uh...well. I'm a seer, like my father before me. But, it's different for me. Thing are easy to find, and I can search for different people. So, he comes in once a week and asks me to look for something in particular. A green hood, myself in a different place. I've never really connected the dots before; I've never known why. I just do what I'm told, as any good daughter would do."

"A green hood, huh? Sounds like your dad was after my girlfriend and I. We've been hiding from him for years. I should have known he was watching."