CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY | THE SERPENT AND THE SNAKE

THE WORLD WAS A DARK AND SCARY PLACE, ESPECIALLY FOR A YOUNG GIRL WHP HAD BEEN HIDDEN AWAY FROM IT FOR SO LONG

THE WORLD WAS A DARK AND SCARY PLACE, ESPECIALLY FOR A YOUNG GIRL WHP HAD BEEN HIDDEN AWAY FROM IT FOR SO LONG. At least now, she had chosen to be there. She had chosen to stay in the tower while, hundreds of feet below her window, thousands of towns people trained under Leon's instruction.

Those who could not fight constructed armour. Any materials they could find were melted down to their bare bones and crafted into swords and weapons. Wood was harvested to make bows and arrows, fallen feathers used for the ends. They would be the best hand-made army the Kingdom had ever seen.

And yet, a pit was forming in Aerona's stomach. A dragon sat on her chest, heaving and spurting fire everywhere, her breath captured in the smoke. She was suffocating. A seer with nothing to see and nowhere to go. A girl trapped in a life she never chose.

Except, she did choose, didn't she? She chose to rescue James; she chose to follow him knowing it would lead to meeting her sister.

And she chose to stay and help them fight the war.

No matter what her heart said, this is what she truly wanted. It was just difficult to see it that way, sometimes.

"They look good out there, huh?"

Aerona ripped her gaze away from the window, whipping around the face James. "You scared me," she muttered, holding a hand to her chest as she let out a deep breath. "Why aren't you out there training with the others?"

"I guess I just don't want to be their puppet anymore," he admitted. "They want us to be warriors and we're not. We're just normal people."

"Normal people who hope to win a war," Aerona corrected. "And, around here, that counts for a lot more than you think."

Letting out a sigh, James lay down on the floor, his head resting on a velvet cushion. A small smile on her face, Aerona joined him, looking up at the painted stars on the ceiling. Even though they were made of solid white paint, they seemed to glimmer and gleam in the room.

"I've always loved star-gazing," James muttered. "Though, I didn't know it was possible to do so from inside."

"Perhaps some of the witches wished to study the stars," Aerona replied. "I've heard of Astronomy used in prophecies by those who could not see the future. It's probably more common than you think. They would look to the stars for answers when spells gave them none."

"Aerona?" James asked. She turned her head on the pillow, looking him directly in the eye.

"Yes?"

"Did you see this in your future?" She bit her bottom lip, staring back up at the ceiling before answering.

"That's a very complicated answer, James. I will admit, I didn't predict a battle or an army or even weapons. But when I saw you – when I truly saw you – I somehow knew something was coming. That getting you out of the castle wouldn't be the end of my worries and it wouldn't prevent Caron's death but, rather, escalate it. And yet, when I looked into your eyes, your soul piercing mine, I saw safety. So, I have to believe this will lead us somewhere good."