Reading You

Oh my god I am so sorry. It's taken me over A YEAR to get this done. I didn't know it's been that long fhfhfh don't kill me.

Requested by xxmooneyxpadfootxx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack and Daniel were sitting in Jack's living room. Daniel came by to visit his team leader while they were on a break from alien battles. Daniel didn't have much to do in the way of work, as surprising as that is. O'Neill offered Daniel a beer, which the latter kindly refused.

"So what's up Danny boy, how've you been? I'm guessing Sam hasn't left the base yet. Her and her scientific.. whatever the crap she does down there in the dark." Jack started, kicking his feet up on the coffee table. Daniel fixed his glasses. "Uh.. Yeah... Something about Naquida and.. Yeah. It's whatever." "M'kay. Sooo.. What's the visit for?" Jack asked. "Oh you know, just to chat." Jack raised an eyebrow. "Chat huh? Anything in particular you wanted to chat about." He asked, leaning forward to the edge of his chair.

Daniel gulps, his palms becoming clammy at the thoughts swimming through his mind of the man facing him. "W-well.. I'm just checking up on an old friend." Jack raised an eyebrow mockingly. "Old huh? Didn't know the graying was that obvious." He said in his joking mannerisms. The Colonel studied Daniel who seemed to be quite nervous in his presence. Jack took the opportunity to get closer to him in order to brush knees. He may not seem like it, but Jack was a very smart man, especially when it comes to reading others.

Daniel became flustered when he noticed Jack moving increasingly closer. He stared into the other's eyes, calculating his thoughts. Pupils dilated, heartbeat sped, nervous finger-picking. He was like a hound dog, picking up on all the obvious signals. Once satisfied with his observation, Jack leaned back in his chair. A swig of his beer and a minute - but sly - smile later.

"Hey Danny, answer something for me," Jack drawled. The youngers' gaze sharped,  "Yes?" Daniel was lightly tapping his fingers on his leg. The Colonel could always tell when the younger was nervous. "How's your love life going, bud?" Jack asked innocently while he rested his head on his hand.

Daniel's insides froze. His gaze shooting around the room, anywhere except Jack's own. Who, speaking of which, had a content smirk on his face. "I-it's fine, why do you ask?" Jack tsked and shook his head. "Oh Danny, Danny, Danny, you think I don't know." Daniel's bright blue eyes finally met Jack's. "Kn-know what exactly. What's there to know?" Jack was clearly having too much fun teasing Daniel. "Oh just admit it already." Jack leaned forward so he was quite close to the frightened one's face. Daniel gulped, he knew full well what Jack was referring to. He was too smart of a man not to see the indications.

The pressure was getting to him. He was trapped and quite afraid. The irrational fears getting to him. Jack would probably hate him afterwards. Sam would start acting weird and distancing herself from him. Teal'c, well, he was unpredictable, but that didn't help. There was no hiding it now. Jack's relentless gaze bore down onto him. The pressure was building, he couldn't take living in the shadows anymore. "Fine! Fine I like you, Jack!" Daniel panted. What seemed like forever passed until Jack gave a hearty laugh and ruffled Daniel's hair. "Oh I know that already, I just wanted to watch you squirm." Jack plopped back into his own seat. The archaeologist stared dumbstruck at his leader. "You.." Jack waved a hand dismissively, "Yeah yeah the whole base knows. You're not very good at hiding it." At a loss for words, Daniel watched, open-mouthed, as Jack finished off his beer. "You.."

Jack rolled his eyes. "What? You want to hear it back? Fine, I like you too." Daniel seemed to flip out even more. "Have for a long time, guess you were too wrapped up in being a nerd to notice." At this, Daniel began laughing uncontrollably. Eventually he stopped and wiped tears from his eyes. "Oh man, I should've known."

Jack looked at Daniel with an openly loving expression, one of admiration in fact. "Hey." The youngest looked up and Jack's heart skipped a beat. He felt free. He could finally show the affection he had wanted to for so long. Jack smiled only to receive one back. "Wanna go out to dinner with me?" A light blush fan across Daniel's features making him even cuter. He nodded in response. "Unless you'd like me to grill." Jack joked causing Daniel to laugh again. "I think not." Without words Jack offered a hand to pull his date up. They grabbed their jackets and headed out the door hand in hand.

Oh Sam's gonna love this.