Part Three

After I read the letter I burst into tears. Luke was gone. It didn't seem possible. I was just with him yesterday. We hungout at his house and watched movies all day, and he seemed so happy. And now not even 24 hours later he was gone, with no explanation, and all he left was a letter confessing all the feelings that I've been wanting to hear. But I didnt want them now, not if it meant that I couldnt have Luke. 

       I didn't know what to do so I did the first thing that came to mind and called my best friend that also happened to be one of Luke's best friends. I dialed Calum's number and it rang a few times before he picked up the phone. 

                   Calum: Hey Cas, whats up?

                   Cassie: Lukes gone Cal. He's gone and I dont know where he went. He left sometime last night and he left me with this letter telling me that hes in love with me and thats why he left and I dont know what to do Cal. Have you heard from him? Did he call you or say bye to you?

                  Calum: Cassie, slow down. Breathe. Have you tried to call him. Im sure this is all just a misunderstanding. He would never leave you like that. Talk to him, figure things out. 

                     Cassie: Okay, you're right. Im gonna call him. Ill come over later. Thanks Cal. 

I hung up and decided to just go over to Luke's place instead of calling him. The drive over there seemed longer than usual. The anticipation was killing me and all I wanted was to see Luke and for him to tell me that it was all a joke or something. I finally pulled up to his house and walked up to his front door. My hands were shaking as I finally got the courage to knock. Lukes mom answered the door and when she saw me a sad look took over her eyes. Im sure I looked like a mess too. My makeup was running down my face and my hair was a mess from running my fingers through it. 

   "Cassie, hi, its nice to see you." She said half heartedly. "Liz, wheres Luke, what's going on? He left me this letter saying that he loved me but that he had to leave and I dont know whats happening." I didnt realize it but I was crying now and Liz was even shedding a few tears. "Cassie, Im so sorry. Luke left last night. He left me a voicemail saying that he had to go figure things out and that I shouldnt worry. I trust Luke and I know he is doing what's best for him. He didn't tell me where he was going or when he would be back. I was as shocked as you are, but he said that he would call me after he changed his number." Her words hit me like a brick wall. Luke didnt want to be around me. Luke didnt want me to be a part of his life anymore. "Can I have his new number when you get it..?" I asked barely above a whisper. "Oh sweetie, I dont think thats a good idea. Just give him his space. I believe that he will be back. He loved you Cassie. You made him happier than I had ever seen him." She told me, and she was full on crying now. I wrapped my arms around her and let her cry into my shoulder. I didn't think to remember that I wasnt the only one affected by Lukes sudden disappearance. 

  After I left Luke's house I didnt want to face my parents so I went to the only other place I could think of. Calum's house. Which was like my second home. Calum and I had been friends since we were very little, because our moms had grown up together. That was until a year ago when his mom walked out on him and went to Europe without even looking back. Calum hasnt spoken to her since she left, and I dont think he plans on ever speaking to her again. My mom was heartbroken when she left. My dad filed for a divorce when I was 6, so I knew what Calum was going through. I still saw my dad every now and then on Christmas or Thanksgiving but we didnt have a very strong relationsip. Calum and I understood each other and I think thats the main reason why we were such good friends. 

  When I got to Calum's house, I walked straight in without even knocking. We considered each other family and decided that family didnt have to knock. I immediatly heard the loud music coming from Calum's room so I headed up the stairs and walked into his room. When he saw me he smiled, but when I didnt smile back he came up and engulfed me in a hug. Calum always knew how to make me feel better. I felt the tears come again but I held them back because I know how much Calum hates to see me cry. 

   "Cal, do you think he will ever come back?" I asked as my voice wavered and I was on the verge of tears. "Of couse he will, he loved you Cassie. He probably just needs to work things out. He will be back before you even know it." Calum always knew exactly what to say. I asked him if I could stay the night there because I didnt want to go home and of course he said yes. So for the rest of the night I laid with Calum on his bed with my head on his chest and his arm around me while we watched reruns of How I Met Your Mother. I was unsure of everything that was happening, but I was sure about one thing. 

  I was going to find out where Luke was.