Chapter 5

Marie came in early to wake Elena, "Good morning Miss, I am sorry it is so early, but Young Master Damon has requested you leave early this morning." The kind woman said gently shaking Elena from her slumber.

Elena moaned as she opened her eyes, her dreams had been filled with many thoughts, first they were nightmares; she watched repeatedly as Damon died in her arms. Then those dreams were replaced with happier ones of Damon in this time taking her on walks in the garden. Lastly, she dreamt about Jeremy, Bonnie, Caroline, and Stefan, how much she missed them all. Stefan was still here but it wasn't her Stefan. Elena swallowed hard to rid herself of the sadness she couldn't cry, she wouldn't cry.

"Good morning Marie, I am sorry I did not get a good sleep." Elena groaned as she got out of bed, Marie looked at her empathetically.

"It is all right Miss, let us get you in a gown and down to breakfast." Marie's smile warmed Elena's heart, the softness in her eyes reminded Elena so much of Bonnie.

The dress she chose for the day was a violet purple with little white lace accenting it. Marie fished her hair into a quaint fishtail. When she was ready Elena headed down to the dining hall to meet Damon.

At breakfast, only Elena and Damon were downstairs.

"Where is your brother and father?" Elena asked politely as she reached for an orange from the fruit bowl in the middle of the table.

"It is far to early for them to be awake yet." Damon commented as he ate a piece of toasted bread. "I am sorry I called for you so early, I just thought we should head to town early, it looks like it might storm today." He said stirring his coffee.

"Oh, it is all right it doesn't bother me to be up." She smiled, it was so different to see Damon this way. She was so used to seeing him hard, cold, and cut off from the world.

"Well that is good, because I am really excited to spend as much time as I can with you." He beamed as they got up from the table.

Elena felt so warm in his presence.

Damon called Marcel to drive the carriage to town.

On the way to town...

"What is your favorite color Elena?" Damon inquired.

"Um, blue I like blue." Elena replied, she was caught up in all the sights and sounds. So much was different in this era. The sound of the horses foots clapping on the stones beneath them made her sleepy, their rhythmic melody was mesmerizing.

"Blue is a very pretty color on you." Damon smirked.

Elena blushed, she didn't want to tell him that it was her favorite because she loved his eyes. His eyes were like sparkling turquoise orbs, they sucked you in like the ocean.

"What of you Damon? What is your favorite color?" Elena asked back, wondering if 1864 Damon had the same affection for black and red as his future counterpart.

"Hmm, that is rather difficult to pick, I suppose it is whatever you are wearing dear Elena, so it would be purple today." Damon said raising his eyebrow in his signature fashion.

Elena's blush deepened, 'He is such a charmer.'

When they reached town, they walked down the street to a few shops, Damon bought Elena many dresses in various colors and designs, he bought her shoes and some trinkets also. Elena felt bad taking all these gifts from him.

As they filled the carriage with the packages a dark-skinned woman stopped them.

"Hello Miss." The woman said to Elena, Elena felt as if she knew this woman, something about her was very familiar.