Youth

CHAPTER SEVEN

[Youth]

DRACO

Draco wakes suddenly, eyes flung so wide each iris is a perfect orb of turquoise silver. After a second or two, his head turns like some Halloween dummy, mouth slackened, "What the hell?'

Potter was standing over him with a smug look on his face. The pillow he had just used to smack Draco awake was cradled under his arm while a platter of food was held up by the other.

"Sleep well?" Potter asked, raising the corner of his mouth to a smirk.

"Bugger off." He groans, sitting up and rubbing his eyes clear of sleep. His heart skipped a beat when he saw the harsh sunlight filtering through the curtains.

"What time is it?"

Potter places the food down on his bedside table. "Nearly afternoon. I tried to wake you earlier but you wouldn't budge."

Draco nearly had a heart attack right then. Father was definitely going to kill him now! He had planned to sneak in, grab Potter's things without getting caught, and get back safely to the manor without missing the...meeting.

Shivers ran up his spine as he remembered the call from last night. First in the alley with Potter and the second as he had been preparing to sleep.

The pain has an unpleasant warmth to it, eating at Draco's stomach. There's nausea too, just enough to make him hold onto the table for support and breath slow. He didn't even realize he had fallen until another spike up pain blossomed in his head. He often prized himself in ignoring pain and just rocking on regardless, but that just wasn't possible right now. It owned him, dominating every thought, controlling every action.

"Malfoy...?" A voice rings out from somewhere. It was fuzzy but he can barely see the outline of a brunet boy shaking him. Without meaning to my body curls into something fetal, something primeval, and all the while the pain burns and radiates.

He-who-must-not-be-named had to be seething. He had never experienced this much pain before that wasn't the cruciatus curse. They must have found out that Harry was no longer at his relatives. They had been planning an attack for months. Draco smiled weakly through the pain. He had somehow outwitted the monster who had destroyed his life without even trying.

Another jolt of pain was sent through him as he convulsed on the ground. The dark lord was calling for a meeting for the next day. He needed someone. He needed...

"FERRET!" Harry yells, smacking him across the face again with the pillow.

"Will you stop with the pillow!"

Harry hits him again, messing up Draco's hair even more in the process. "No, it's only fair. I've been trying to get your attention for the past three minutes."

Draco glares at him. "I was...thinking."

Draco took the time to notice how healthy the boy looked compared to yesterday. The bruising on his face was now only a faint yellow and the mismatched cuts that had littered his arms were beginning to become small pink scars.

"I don't have time for your thinking. I need my wand."

Draco stood up and patted his hair back down. He was fully awake now after several full blows to his head. "And how do you suppose we do that? Just march straight up to their doorstep and knock asking if you can have your stuff back? No, you need a plan."

Harry huffs. "I know that. And I do." Draco lifts an eyebrow causing Harry to roll his eyes. "We just need to get them out of the house for an hour or two. Then we can just climb in through my window. It doesn't have locks on it anymore."