1| stormy through hatred and the rain.

mike had to make more room in his basement which meant chucking some boxes filled with his dad's croquet equipment out in the garage, the box smelt like dust and dirt so he had to mentally pinch his nose and refrain himself from sneezing as he quickly carried it out the room.

he was doing all this physical labor because mike wheeler was having his friends sleepover at his house - no surprise there - but this time, eleven and lucas insisted that max came over as well. which he was obviously not happy with but the pair annoyed him so much about it he finally gave in about it and allowed her to come over too.

mike never hated the girl, it just seemed like he did, but he never enjoyed her company in the slightest. max just had that personality which was so annoying it matched a newscaster that smiled at everything and everyone. he disliked her arrogance too, he always thought she was a bit too much 'oo, i'm so good at arcade games' and 'oo, i'm a girl who has a skateboard, look at mee!'.

the raven haired boy never knew about her family or her backstory as to why she moved here and barged in on his friend group by insisting she follow them around and bug them about all the small things that were happening that weren't her business - and frankly, he didn't care, not in the slightest. if lucas and dustin cared so much about it, good for them, he wanted nothing to do with her.

soon after four in the afternoon, the doorbell rang. mike shouted at his mom not to answer it, so he would get to the door before her. and the first to arrive at the millionth sleepover party at mike's house was will byers and dustin hunderson. standing there shivering in the rain.

"hey guys! you alright?"

"yes, of course mike, i'm feeling stupendous right now. i just love the rain! always been my favorite weather phenomenon!" will said sarcastically.

"come on in, unless you and mother nature want to be left alone for a bit.."

"no! move your ass, we are coming in!" dustin shrieked, mike managing to dodge the boy drenched in water as he ran in.

will, being the good boy he is, wiped his shoes on the soaked mat outside before taking off his boots and raincoat. mike shut the door just before the cold could creep in anymore than it has now.

"where are lucas and eleven?" mike asked.

"and max." interrupted dustin.

"whatever, did they radio call in?"

"yeah, apparently eleven is taking too long to pack as per usual and hopper is giving the three a ride down in his chevy." will answered, resting against a radiator in the basement.

most of the boys were conscious of mike's dislikeness for max and max returning the favor, all except from lucas who thought it was all a misunderstanding. dustin thought there was something more to it just being a hateful relationship. and will just wanted to play dungeons and dragons.

the three boys with weird haircuts talked for about half an hour before the door bell rang again, which made them run up the little stairwell and swing open the front door. it was lucas and eleven. the three let them in and mike gave eleven a little kiss on the forehead and lucas a hug, there were also shivering from the cold but not as violently as will and dustin were a few minutes ago.

max mayfield watched lucas and eleven walked in through the doorway and be greeted with open arms by the boys already there and turned to chief hopper who was looking at the scene as well.

"see? they didn't even notice i wasn't there!" she said at the chief.

"well maybe they are just hugging them two first." hopper reasoned.

slam! went the front door.

'well, maybe not.' thought hopper.

max sunk in her seat with a huff in the back of the chevy and hopper looked at her with a sorry glance in his eyes. he coughed and turned to her, catching max's attention.

"look," he said, "it doesn't matter if wheeler wouldn't like you to be there, the important thing is, jane and lucas and the others want you there, that out balances the whole thing. so you are going to walk up to that door with confidence, enjoy yourself and pretend that mike isn't even there. you hear me?"

max had regained her inner self esteem after hearing that little empowerment speech hopper gave her. she sat up straight with a smile and grabbed her bag. "i hear you loud and clear, sir."

"right, now scram, you're making me late for my date." max laughed and got out the truck.

"yes, we can't keep miss byers waiting can we?" hopper smiled slightly and waved goodbye to max, which max returned the gesture.

the chief's truck disappeared rapidly in the distance with the help of dark skies and thick downpours of rain, so max did not waste anytime running up to the wheeler's front door and knocked loudly in a rhythmic tune.

max kept her eyes away from the house and kept them occupied by the conditions of the weather, it was only twenty to five, why the hell is it already pitch black out here?

a few seconds flew by and the door opened a little crack, brown eyes peering through. the door then swung open and max almost jumped out her skin as she was unexpectedly greeted with a bear hug from dustin.

"dude, let go of me!" max laughed under his warmth, "i literally saw you an hour ago!"

dustin didn't wait for max to take her coat or boots off, instead dragged her by the wrist and pulled her down to the basement where muttering voices could be heard.

"max is here, everybody!" dustin announced and everyone cheered, all except mike, who just rolled his eyes.

max finally got her wrist back and took off her coat and boots and joined the chattering group huddled on the floor.

""""""""

a/n

oh my snickers,

the first chapter of my first ever book,

please be nice to it,

the writer is very sensitive..

vote and comment¿?

or just leave some heart emojis, idm.

love you all !
💘