5| every problem has disappeared with you.

mike couldn't sleep.

not even dustin's snores or will rythmatic nose whistling could send him off to drift away into a slumber.

he just stared at the ceiling, finding it more calming then staring at his girlfriend.

jane had got more gossipy and got intrigued into gumchewing really obnoxiously, just like the popular trashy girls at his school - you know the ones that would either end up working in a bar working overtime every night or somewhere where they would be sexualised to death just for a bit of cash in the future. he would of normally brushed it off, thinking that it was normal to just judge people for what their habits are. but her personality changed too, she became more controlling and violent in words when she wanted. saying he was too skinny, tall and lanky, jane was constantly reminding mike she could leave him anytime she wanted and mike would come crawling back, just for the routine to repeat itself, like this: mike accidentally unsettles el, hurtful words come from jane's gaping gob, mike gains courage to break it off, but realizes how right she is, comes crawling back to her.

he wanted to break free from this prison cell, he hid this away from his best friends and family, so in their eyes, they are the best thing to happen in hawkins. and it kills mike on the inside, his heart is painfully being taken away from him every second that he has alone with jane, piece by piece and mike no longer felt like himself anymore, but what is he without jane?

he closed his eyes, hoping his trauma would make him cry himself to sleep, in front of his friends? no! well, maybe he didn't care anymore. he was tired of everything. risking the humiliation just to feel something, something or anything inside.

he looked at max, the girl who was shining everyday of the week, the one who never had a single problem in her life thrown at her. mike hated her for that, a perfect life, perfect family, perfect relationship with lucas. mike wanted that happy life, he once believed he had it, but it was soon unraveled to be a great lie.

max was facing him, her closed lashes resting upon her freckled cheeks, the light that was non existent glowed against her face, contouring her cheek bones and lips. her right leg was sticking out from her sleeping bag, maybe she felt hot? mike stared at all her bandages, bruises and cuts that were messily scattered along her pale skin presumably from skateboarding accidents.

her hair perfectly placed behind her and appeared neat like she just brushed it, but several strands covered her face. mike sat up a little to see if anyone was watching, no-one was awake, he layed back down and reached his hand forwards to tuck behind the stray strands behind her ear.

she stirred a little, squinting, but soon relaxed back down.

mike sighed, he turned to face the ceiling once more.

there was a faint mumble.

he turned to el, to see if she was having a bad dream. no, she was smiling slightly while snoring.

another faint mumble, it sounded a tiny bit like mucus? but it was too muffled for mike to properly pin point what they said.

mike turned to face max once again, but he froze on the spot almost instantly as he see the redhead shuffle towards him, her arms snaking around his waist and her head resting on his chest. her body was like burning hot coal against his cool skin, a sensation mike has never felt before, what the hell was this? was it hatred? or the growing bacteria thriving on my skin that this bitch passed to to me? mike thought to himself, obviouly, so no-one else to be brought up to attention about this.

mike stayed still for a couple minutes, he realised she had obviously reached out for lucas, the man of her dreams, and not mike, her worst enemy. so he attempted to wriggle out of her grasp around him, by trying to back up and break the link of her arms around his waist. but every movement he made only caused max to groan and shuffle even closer to him, their legs soon became tangled together and mike could barely handle the thought of max's bare legs against his, neither could he handle the girl's face snuggled more and more into his chest, mike found it astonishing that she wasn't already awoken by the vibration of his rapidly increasing heartbeat banging against his ribcage, his blood cells felt like they were going to implode in his veins and that his lungs would collapsed from the countless dozen times he had to hold his breath, just to make sure that he would not wake max.

mike had given up, soon realizing that it wasn't the end of the world and that he should enjoy this tranquility between the both of them while he still can. at the back of his mind, mike couldn't swat awaye this feeling that this was wrong and he should just push her away and scold her for what she's doing. but at the same time, this felt right, it was comfortable and mike though max fitted perfectly with him - like two puzzle pieces.

mike relaxed his body soon after his surrender to max's touch, hesitating slightly to wrap his arms around her shoulders, just to be able to close the remaining space that was separating them. mike took another note that max's skin was boiling hot, but not in the way in medical terms would describe it, just a vast contrast between mike's usually cold and frail skin compared to max's hot and strong skin. he played with the hair that was astray to her bun, twisting the redhead strands around his fingers and releasing them.

not really thinking straight after being sleep deprived for about a week, mike leaned in and kissed the top of max's head, breathing in her scent and embracing the tightening of max's arms behind him, still burning like never before.

he felt her heartbeat, it was pacing at a steady level, mike ended up counting how many beats per minute, but soon he could feel himself losing himself in the heat of the moment and he closed his eyes, bringing himself to a deep slumber - something he hasn't been able to do in a long time.

""""""""""

a/n

anioop-

i did that,

well max did that,

providing us with content.

how will they be able to recover from this?

ooooooo, the plot thickens.

comment and vote on the chapter,

love y'all
💘