Whole Human, Whole Not

Roman and Remus have butted heads often as they grew up, but that doesn't mean they weren't there for each other. They've grown up in an orphanage their whole childhoods and there has been no luck in trying to track their birth parents. The twins have played together and protected each other however they could. Whenever they were outside and felt like battling, they made magenta shields and flying discs appear from their hands. The two didn't think much of it as they figured their imaginations were stronger than they initially thought. If either of them was bullied and the other brother was too far to really do anything, they would think and hope that the bullied brother would go to a particular spot to escape. Next thing they both knew, they'd find the bullied brother at the specific hiding spot without and knowledge of how they got there.

Although they haven't played pretend or needed to escape from bullies as often growing up, they were still there for each other. Certain occurrences that involve a magenta hue have happened with tiny effects that it was easy to overlook them: Roman would leave a patch of flowers around him after getting up from cloudgazing, Remus would make papier-mâché weapons with less time than normal for a rookie working on particular crafts, Roman even went to a lake with his boyfriend, Virgil, once and approached the flower before bringing it back. Virgil saw magenta platforms under Roman's feet as he walked onto the lake and back, but didn't know how to bring it up or if Roman even noticed.

One day, in their early adulthood, the brothers were on a double date with occasional banter sprinkled here and there. Unfortunately for them, there was a mother with her child complaining about their "lifestyle choices" as if they haven't dealt with enough bigots in their lives. The mother had lectured them about "red meat makes you gay" and other chimerical nonsense while the kid gave them an apologetic stare. Roman could tell that Virgil was on the verge of a panic attack and was trying to calm him down. At the same time, Remus's boyfriend, Darius, rolled his eyes at the woman and tried to keep Remus from shouting profanities.

"You know what? We already paid for our meals. We should just get out of here," Roman whispered to the group.

One moment, they were struggling to bypass the woman while each couple was holding hands; next thing they knew, all four of them were in the half-packed parking lot. They looked around confused.

"Umm... Remus, did you black out in another fight again?" Roman asked.
Remus looked at his phone for the time.

"No...and barely any time has passed," Remus answered, equally confused.

Virgil and Darius were both weirded out, but they didn't leave due to the knowledge that the brothers wouldn't hurt them and they were just as weirded out. The four of them ran from the parking lot without much thought. They reached a park and stopped to catch their breath.

"I think that lady gave me gray hairs!" Virgil proclaimed.

Remus walked behind Virgil, dug into his head, and plucked a hair out, much to the emo's dissatisfaction. The mustachio squinted at the strand.

"Yep, it's a gray hair, but let me try something," Remus declared.

Virgil was about to question the statement, but he already saw some weird stuff that day. They all squinted at the strand and noticed it became dark purple before Remus out it in Virgil's head again. Roman thought for a while before forming a magenta sword into thin air and made it disappear once he backed away in shock.

"So, um, how long were you able to do that?" Darius questioned.

The brothers looked at each other and pondered for a good while. After taking their moments of "imaginary battles" into consideration as well, they came to the conclusion that they had their abilities "for pretty much their whole lives".