chapter three (Kylie)

Kylie wakes up shivering, a cold sweat clinging to her body. Fear creeps along her body as she finds herself in a darkened room. An uneasy feeling forms in her stomach as she breathes in the foul air around her, a putrid odor of rot and decay. She starts to rise only to find herself constricted, her wrists and ankles bound in place by rusted cuffs. Scurrying from her left draws her attention towards a darkened corner. She squints as she tries to see what was moving in the darkness. 

    Small beady red eyes stare at Kylie through the darkened room. More and more eyes join the first set, staring at Kylie unblinking. Sounds of tiny claws scraping the stone floor fills her head as the tiny creatures inch forward, hissing slightly. Growling hungrily as they slowly claw their way across the dungeon floor. 

    Kylie begins feeling sharp claws against her legs, several sets of them slowly clawing their way up towards her body. Panicked, she begins thrashing around, trying frantically to fling the creatures off. Claws dig into her skin as she moves around, the creatures determined to stay on her.

    “Struggling isn’t going to help you Kylie.”

    Kylie freezes, eyes becoming wide with fear as a voice drifts into the room. “Please help me.”

    “Help you, now why would I do that and deny my pets the honor of a fresh meal?”

    Kylie feels the tiny creatures upon her stomach now, their claws stabbing into her over and over as they continue to climb. Something sharp pierces her side suddenly causing her to scream in pain. One of the creatures bites her, its tiny fangs pinching her flesh as it bites into her again and again.

    “Owe! Please don’t let them do this,” Kylie screams out as she slings her body around.

    The air is filled with a loud squeal followed by a slight thud. More squeaks emanate from the darkness, rushing to the spot she had managed to fling the creature that was biting her. She can hear the creatures fighting amongst one another as they devour their fallen friend. Tearing of flesh and bones snapping fill the air around Kylie, the creatures quickly eating the fallen one. 

    “My dire rats seem to be very hungry today.” 

    Kylie begins struggling more, yanking against the chains frantically, more claws digging into her flesh now. Dozens of tiny rats claw their way up her legs now, biting and scratching as they crawl up her.  

    “No! Please don’t let them do this, please you have to get them off me,” Kylie screams as she feels the rats crawling all over her now, tiny teeth biting into her anywhere they can. “Please don’t do this.” 

“You are a trespasser here, you also killed one of my pets. There has to be punishment for your actions.”

    “No please,” Kylie struggles more, yanking against the cuffs keeping her bound as the dire rats continue to swarm her. 

    There is only silence from the direction the voice came from now. Whoever was just there is gone now, leaving Kylie trapped in the dungeon. Determined not to become the rats next meal Kylie yanks as hard as she can against the cuffs holding her still. After a few yanks she hears a loud snap and a chain rattling to the floor as it falls. 

    Finally now I can get free. 

    As she reaches across her body trying to undo the cuff holding her other arm, sharp fangs pierce the free one. She screams in pain and quickly slings her arm around, knocking several rats from her body. Many of the rats change their course, heading towards the fallen ones. With the rest of the rats distracted, Kylie tolerates the few remaining ones biting her long enough to pull the pin from the cuff on her right wrist.