chapter four (Kaylenn)

Kaylenn stares up at the cabin ceiling with determination, today is the day she will climb out of the cabin. Days have passed since the ship was attacked by the Kraken. With no sails, the ship was aimlessly drifting around. With no way to know where the ship was, Kaylenn could only hope she is close to land. Climbing up on the captains desk, Kaylenn stands on her tiptoes as she stretches her arms up towards the opening.

    As she realized she still couldn't grab the broken ledge, one thing suddenly comes to mind. She bends her knees slightly and leaps into the air. Slight pain burns in her ankle as she springs through the air. Though that didn’t stop her, not that she could worry about that now that she had already did it. Her fingers barely grip the edge, suspending her body in the air as she struggles to hang on. Slowly, painfully, Kaylenn starts pulling herself through the opening. Scraping her arms against the splintered wood, she manages to pull her upper body up through the opening. For the first time in days, fresh air blows gently against her skin. She pulls herself on out of the hole and sighs, relaxing in the cool gentle breeze as the ship rocks slightly against the small waves steering it across the open waters.

    The deck of the ship is quiet, almost as if the ship never held a crew. The ship creaks and groans against the waters pushing it forward. Kaylenn slowly stands, hesitantly walking along the deck as she begins exploring the ship for anything of use to her. After walking along the deck of the ship, she is disappointed that she hadn’t found anything of much use. Her disappointment only increases as she comes to the stairway leading to the lower deck only to discover the door is blocked by the broken mast. She struggles, trying to scoot the beam over enough to slip through the doorway. Out of breath, she gives up, sighing as she collapses on the deck. 

    This is it, this is how I'm going to die

    Without food or drink, it would be a matter of days before starvation overcame her. She lays against the debris and splintered planks, praying the ship would drift to land soon. The sky begins to darken unexpectedly. Kaylenn looks up to see heavy black clouds forming quickly overhead. Large water drops start pelting against the ships deck, inching towards her. She scurries to her feet, quickly ducking under the ledge above the stairway leading downstairs as the rain pours down around her now.  It still wasn’t enough to keep the rain from soaking her. 

    The freezing rain stings against her exposed skin. No matter what she tried, she couldn’t escape it. She tries once more to move the beam blocking the door once more without success. She slinks down to the deck once more, letting the rain pour down on her. Desperation and hopelessness fill her as she begins to cry, knowing that she wouldn’t see her sister again.   

    Slight scraping comes from the blocked door behind her. Something was being dragged across the floor. She leans against the door, trying to better understand what was going on behind it. There was definitely something moving below deck. 

    “Hello, can you hear me?” she cries out. 

    She continues to hear the scraping below, but whatever is making the noise doesn’t seem to respond to her voice.

    “Hello?” 

    Again there is no response from beyond the door. She takes her fists and begins beating harshly against the door. For just a minute, whatever is down below stops moving. Loud creaking comes from the other side of the door, louder and louder. Kaylenn’s heart races, beating rapidly against her chest, as she huddles there, ear pressed against the door, listening to whatever is below climb up the steps. 

    Time seems to stand still. Each creak sends a shiver up her spine. A few more steps and the creaking stops. Whatever is trapped behind the door wiggles the handle, trying to push the door open without success.