Chapter 29

Goldenstreak heard a yowl and jumped up. Pinekit, Brightkit, and Amberkit looked up and yawned. Shrieks sounded. Goldenstreak ran to the entrance. In the moon-lighted clearing she could see cats fighting with each other. Goldenstreak could smell ThunderClan. She ran back to her nest and picked up her kits. They mewed in protest as Goldenstreak took them to the corner of the nursery. She sat in front of them and pricked her ears. There was rustling in the entrance. Four cats came in. A fifth followed.

"Nightleaf, go guard the entrance, make sure no one gets in." A black she-cat with green eyes disappeared. The others sneered at Goldenstreak. She instinctively unsheathed her claws. Goldenstreak blinked twice as the four cats came closer. They instantly slowed. Goldensteak prepared and attacked. The four cats seemed surprised as Goldenstreak dated between them and around them, slashing them. One yowled and pounced at her, but Goldenstreak was too fast. She whirled around and clawed a brown tom. There was screeching at the entrance as another cat tried to get in. Goldenstreak got distracted and a power hit her on the head. Her legs buckled and the earth began to spin. Goldenstreak yowled as sharp claws dusk into her side. One she-cat snatched up Brightkit and reached for Pinekit. Goldenstreak yowled and pulled away from the other cats. She jumped onto the other she-cat and claws her back. The she-cat yowled and dropped Brightkit. Goldenstreak hissed as the she-cat tried to throw her off. Goldenstreak jumped off and in one swift moment she ran forward and bit into the she-cats throat. She held on tightly. Goldenstreak could feel other cats attacking her, but she didn't let go. Finally she stopped and whirled around to see a tom had picked up Amberkit and Pinekit and had raised a paw at Brightkit. Goldenstreak came to a horrible realization that the tom was going to kill Brightkit because she was the smallest and weakest. Blood roared in Goldenstreak's ears and she lunged at the tom. Goldenstreak batted the tom's paws out from underneath him. She pushed Brightkit out of the way. Goldenstreak sliced the tom's throat. He wailed in shock and dropped Pinekit and Amberkit. They ran away and joined Brightkit in the corner. Goldenstreak felt thorn sharp claws dig into her back. She yowled. The cat tore her back.

"You killed my brother Bouldercloud!" He hissed. Goldenstreak wailed and her legs crumbled. The cat pinned her down and forced her to look at her kits who were trapped in the corner by big brown tom.

"Kill them!" He yowled. Goldenstreak struggled to get up but the tom put his massive paw on her throat. Goldenstreak looked at her kits desperately. Her eyesight got blurry, she couldn't breathe and would be able to last for much longer. The large tom was slowly stalking her kits. He sneered and lunged forward. Quick as lightning another tom burst through the entrance of the nursery and lunged at her kits. Goldenstreak wailed. Then she realized that the tom that was rushing for her kits, was Duskpatch! The tom on top of her pushed his paws on her throat even more. Goldenstreak felt herself growing faint. Everything went black.