Mai Uses the Power of Kindness

Living in a palace, Mai mused, had insulated her from the harsh realities of the era. She was never hungry. She had enough money to buy anything she wanted. She was royalty, which was as high as a woman's status could go. In the back of her mind, she knew the grandeur and luxury she was living in came from a history of bloodshed and cruelty, but it never felt real.

Until now.

"We're going... to war?"

Hideyoshi gave her a pitying look that Mai missed entirely. She was staring into Nobunaga's eyes, searching for anything that would say she'd misheard.

Anything.

Aaaaaaanything at all...

Fuck.

A real-life, 100% genuine war was about to ravage the state she was living in. The state her friends were living in. Her friends the warlords, who would be fighting in the war. A war with only 1500s medicine oh my god-

"I want to come." Eyebrows were raised, but Mai was still focused on Nobunaga. His lips slowly pulled into a smirk, entertained by her lack of respect.

"Oh? What could you gain from going to war?"

It felt like Nobunaga already knew her reasons. "I want to be able to help people. I can't just stand by while you all risk your lives. Please let me work with the field doctors. I've been studying medicine, I won't hold you back!"

Ieyasu cleared his throat. "You can't promise that, though, can you?" Mai stared at him in shock. "You might have a decent amount of medical knowledge now, but none of that will matter if you have an episode on the battle field."

An episode.

That's what it always came down to. In the past, in the future, in the present, it all boiled down to her epilepsy.

Don't raise her, she's high-maintenance.

Don't play with her, she's weird.

Don't hire her, she's unreliable.

Don't trust her, she can't trust herself.

Tears of frustration welled in her eyes, threatening to spill over. She'd been studying in her spare time, learning as much as she could, for nothing. Even worse, she understood Ieyasu's skepticism. If she had a seizure bandaging someone, or getting supplies, or on the move, she could get people killed. There was no time to waste on her condition in the battlefield.

"I have a solution." Out of all the people at the table, Mai never expected Mitsuhide to help her. "There are two perfectly able soldiers that owe Mai their lives, who's skills would otherwise be wasted in the dungeons. Why not have them supervise her?"

Nobunaga turned to Ieyasu with a questioning glance, asking for his opinion. Ieyasu frowned, not a bitter expression but one of genuine contemplation. "...Fine. That should work. As long as she's pulled out of the way if she seizes, and we're notified."

One tear darted down her cheek. Her eyes glistened, full of hope and gratitude as she looked to Mitsuhide. Mai bowed deeply. "Thank you, thank you so much Mitsuhide." Raising her head, she repeated herself. "Thank you."

Mitsuhide looked comically uncomfortable with the loud, emotional display. If Mai wasn't so raw, she'd laugh.

The meeting - the war meeting - was adjourned after a few more points, outlining tactics and discussing enemy lords. Mai's friends (and wow, who would've thought these warmongering hotheads would grow on her so much) departed, each readying their troops. Bloodshed was on the horizon.