five

𝐏𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐌

─────

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘 𝗜𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗗, a hacking cough had woken Natasha up. The sound had come from Zhenya's room and for a while, the redhead thought nothing of it and was about to turn over to fall back asleep, but another series of coughs came and it sounded a lot like the girl was being choked.

The spy rushed into the dimly lit room where her daughter sat, hunched over her blankets, tears welling up in her eyes as she turned to look up at the figure standing above her.

Natasha patted the girl on the back until the coughing had stopped.

'You're ok. Go back to sleep.'

The second time it happened, they were at the supermarket for their weekly shopping trip. Evgenia was seated on the tiled floor of the store, inspecting the label of a packet of chips while Natasha stood a few metres from her, loading vegetables into their basket.

'Mama?' 

The woman looked to the child holding the packet towards her. 'Can we get this?'

'Yeah.'

Evgenia placed the bag inside the basket and they had continued walking around the store. Natasha had been glaring at the price of an overly expensive bottle of vodka in the alcohol aisle, ('why was this shit so expensive?'), when Zhenya began coughing again. 

Natasha was many things. A spy, an assassin and a mother. But certainly not a doctor. So when her daughter's hacking coughs turned into gasps for air and droplets of blood began staining the tiled floors, she was scared and at a loss for what to do. Luckily, a man who had been shopping an aisle down had heard the commotion and had stayed next to her until they stopped.

 He told the pair that they needed to go see a doctor, but Evgenia, who still had reoccurring nightmares about Caron and the procedures that HYDRA performed on Papa, had been adamant on not going.

It only got worse from there on. Three days in, Evgenia's skin and lips tinged purple as the girl leaned over the toilet bowl. Then over dinner one day, she claimed that her right thigh ached. Phantom pains, like it had just been amputated, she said. 

One week in, after a particularly serious fit, her ocean blue eyes had lolled back into the back of her head and she had collapsed onto the couch.

Natasha, her heart beating as fast as a cheetah and her hands sweating from the panic, dialled Bruce Banner's number. 

═══════════════════════

a bitch and her slow ass wifi finally updated. idk if it's just me but lately my fics haven't been getting much reads? like nemesis has been on 1.7k for a week now. 

also not to self plug but my tony fic is up so if y'all wanna read it,,,

anyway as always, please vote and comment if you enjoyed mwah.