twenty four

The Captain clambers out of the stolen blue Volkswagen and closes the door with a bang to meet with Sharon, who's black BMW is parked directly in front of them. Evgenia leans forward as the agent pops the boot open, revealing their captured suits and weapons.

'Can you move your seat up?' Bucky's irritated grumble draws Zhenya's attention back towards her companions. His legs are cramped against the back of Sam's reclined seat.

Monotonously, Sam replies, 'No.'

Wordlessly, his mouth still set into a pissed scowl, her father picks her up and dumps her in his seat as he shuffles towards her previous side of the car. The little blue Volkswagen tremours. 

When she looks back towards Steve and Sharon, the contents are still in the back of the car and they're smiling at each other. Zhenya has a sense of what will come next. Uncle Steve presses his lips against Sharon's and her hand wraps against the back of his neck.

Zhenya gags and Bucky flaps his hand over her eyes. 'I'm going to vomit,' she mumbles, disgusted.

The girl feels the car shake again as Steve lowers himself into the driver's seat and slams the door. She peels her father's hand off her face. The vehicle starts with a slow purr and the four sit in silence for a while, both Bucky and Sam smirking at their friend.

Evgenia breaks the silence first after a moment of trying to decide whether to mock him or express her genuine discomfort at the PDA. 'Ewww Uncle Steve. You could've at least warned me.'

'Shut up, you've seen your mom kissing Maria. And why is that you're only twelve when it's beneficial?'

'Yeah Cap, you get them ladies.' Sam adds, not being able to resist the urge to tease him, slapping his friend on the shoulder.

'Shut up Wilson,' Steve retorts, taking his eyes off the road for a second to glare at Sam. 'And you too Buck.'

'I didn't say anything!'

'Wipe that stupid smug smile off your face.'

Bucky grins harder and Steve shoves his middle finger at the rearview mirror in response. They fall into a comfortable silence and after asking the adults how much longer they have until they reach the airport, Evgenia twists her body sideways resting her head on Bucky's lap.

An hour later, Zhenya is only half-conscious, her mind too busy for her to fall asleep despite the gentle yellow hum of the car and the soft rocking. She listens to every single word when the three men begin speaking again.

'They're going to try and stop us, you know,' says Sam's warm mocha voice. 'Natasha will be there.'

'God, this whole thing wouldn't have happened if you had both left me in Romania. And now Zhenya's going to have to fight her own mother.' Her father sounds tired and dejected.

'And what would have happened if we had? You'd still be in Romania.' Steve states reasonably. 'No actually, you'd be dead. Then one parent would definitely be gone forever. Natasha loves Ev too much, this won't ruin their relationship.'

'Man, I'm just telling you, if this shit works we're gonna be fugitives on the run. We can't just arrange mother-daughter dates for them.'

Bucky sighs and the trio end the conversation without a solution. Evgenia - still drifting in and out of consciousness, feels a sense of panic before she's pulled back under again.

═══════════════════════