Chapter 02

I stood up in front of the mirror, feeling nervous as usual. A thin, dark brown haired girl with wide brown eyes and tan skin, wearing dark blue high waist denims and a plain white t shirt looked back at me. She looked as nervous as I felt. I cleared my throat and turned away from the mirror.
The yellow file on my bedside table caught my immediate attention. As I took it into my hands, my stomach did a backflip. I gulped down the nervousness and went downstairs with the file.

"Oh, you're ready. Good." Mom said as she saw me descending the stairs. "Say bye to Robby and get in the car, okay? I'm going to grab my hand bag from the kitchen."
Robby came to me and licked my hand as I kissed him goodbye. He smelled great. Surely my mom gave him a good morning bath today.

"Be a good boy, okay? We will be back before you know we are gone." I patted his head and went out of the house.
As I opened the car door, mom came striding down the driveway with her grey handbag swinging from one shoulder.
"Get in hon. Can't be late today." She said. We both got into the car, and she started the engine.
_________________________

The waiting room was packed. Mom went to the counter and was asked to stay seated until we are called.
"Look at the crowd! I bet we'll have to stay for a hour or so."
I didn't say anything. I felt too nervous to speak.
"You okay?"

"Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine!" I lied.

"Everything will be fine." She patted my shoulder. " I'm sure they'll allow you to go outside next week."

"Don't give me hope mom." I muttered.

"Come on! You're hope! I don't have to give it to you, you already have it!!!" She exclaimed.

I sighed. "Yeah, thanks."

"Keep your father in mind. It'll help." She whispered. I looked at her just in time to see her smiling at me sadly. "You know he's always there when you need him."

I smiled. "I know Mom. Thanks." I ran an arm across her shoulders and hugged her. "And I know you will too."
______________________

I dialed Eva's number. She immediately picked up. "Hey, how was clinic?"

"It went alright. They actually allowed me to go outside from this Thursday onwards." I said, feeling the excitement running in my veins.

She squealed happily. "Oh my gods!! That's great news, Hope. I'm going to text Jacob right now!!"

"Do that. Okay, here, I got to go. My mom's calling me to have lunch. See you on Thursday then!"

"Great. Bye."

"Bye."

Thursday came sooner than I expected. I wore my favorite denim and the white jumper my mom bought me for my last birthday before going downstairs to breakfast. Nervousness and excitement rushed in me as I greeted mom good morning and sat on the breakfast table.

"So, young lady going out after eight long years, huh??" She said as she took a seat next to mine.

"I'm so excited." I said and filled my mouth with mashed potatoes.

"Good, good. That's good news." She said and sighed. " But I want you to be careful, honey. I really do. I can't loose you after all these years of protecting you! I don't know what will happen to me if something happens to you!!" She sounded troubled.

I rested a calming hand over her palm across the table. " No need to worry, mom. I know how to handle myself. Besides, I'm not going out all by myself now, am I?"

"No, but...you know, if people find out that you have no experience, they'll take advantage of you. Just thinking about it makes me shiver."

I felt the goosebumps on her hand. "It's okay. I promise, nothing will happen to me."

She smiled. " Yeah, okay. And I want you to enjoy it in the best way you can."

I smiled and stuffed another spoonful of mashed potatoes in my mouth. I nodded. " Of course, I will."
_____________________________