THREE

THE PEAK OF DAWN'S SUNLIGHT peered through the wooden blinds, and I squinted as I took shelter beneath the humid covers. With no recollection of last night, all I had was a raging migraine and the lingering taste of alcohol in my mouth. Chapped lips, a sore throat, and the forsaken scent of puke in the air were enough for me to visualize how the night went. And despite how starved I felt, I didn't have enough willpower to leave the bed.

"Pick up your goddamn phone, Laelia!" Hissed Simone in agony, pressing her head against two pillows. "It has been going off for two hours straight!"

Tired eyes searched for my phone, and I couldn't help but sigh in relief when the ringing finally stopped. But to my dismay, it seemed to ring even louder. I scratched my head in exhaustion and yawned before answering the call, "Laelia! I have been trying to contact you for over two hours! Immediately, I pulled my phone away from my ear, feeling the pulse of my heartbeat through my head.

"Must I remind you I'm on vacation for another week?" I hoarsely mumbled with irritation, fighting the lingering urge to spew a series of colourful words.

With the way she ignorantly spoke, it was hard not to. "You are expected to return by midnight tomorrow." And there was no room to fight with her demands.

"I'm on vacation," I paused, emphasizing the word ever so carefully and slowly.

"And it would be unfortunate to see your brother behind bars," she coyly trailed off, and I wished that I could strangle the daylights out of her.

I remained silent, "I'll be there tomorrow," I gritted out. "But threaten me again, and you should be focused on increasing your home security. You surely don't want to return home with your husband's dead body hanging, right?"

My words were never empty threats. Since I was a hacker—and a damn good one at it, I always had someone willing to do my bidding. I preferred to keep my hands clean unless I was provoked or someone crossed the line.

Although the woman never answered, I was aware of how deep my message went. In fact, it was loud and clear. After hearing a click of the line, I laughed at how intimidated she was, rubbing my eyes as I tossed my phone across the room.

Her boss and my current employer was a corrupted man but paid extremely well for my services. For a distinguished businessman like him, there was a limit to what I was capable of doing. It would be easy for him to take everything Antonio successfully built for him—for us when our parents had abandoned us as children. To live, he surrounded himself with dodgy individuals and even become one. He sacrificed everything just so I could grow up without worrying about if I could go to school. I had never once feared living expenses because Antonio had it covered. With all of that in mind, it didn't matter how far I would have to go because as long as Antonio was safe, it was all that mattered to me.

 With all of that in mind, it didn't matter how far I would have to go because as long as Antonio was safe, it was all that mattered to me

THE DIVITAE'S WERE a secret organization for the wealthy—befitting of the Latin name. Despite starting as an ethical hacker, my work gradually shifted until I was neither a good nor bad person. I simply did things that benefitted and paid me the most. Money was what made the world go round.