Chapter 1

That was five years ago, Delacy's twenty-fifth birthday had just passed and Howl had searched far and wide for the perfect gifts for her. Wrapped in baby-blue wrapping paper and tied with a pastel pink bow, Howl had brought her a collection of the oldest and probably the rarest collection of Merlin's textbooks. Howl had spoken of how Merlin himself was said to have written it himself. Seeing the awe and love that Delacy had when she saw the books resting on her lap and how delicately she ran her fingers over the hardcover of the book, brought Howl more joy than any woman he spent the evenings wooing. But once her awe ran its course, Delacy allowed logic to enter her. Looking from the book she looked at Howl with a raised brow.

"How much did it cost us, Howell?" She asked with pursed lips.

"Uh ah ah!" Tsk Howl with a waving finger. "It's against the rules to tell the birthday girl how much her gifts cost."

"It does when it's the money that we earn, Howl!" Delacy spoke with a roll of her eyes.

But she huffed when Howl ignored her, walking away Howl returned with more wrapped presents laying them in front of her gently. He smiled as he watched her open them. More dresses, makeup, perfume, shoes and of course more books. There was even the finest made watercolour paints and paper for her to use, he knew she was running out but she never told him. She never did and so Howl had to always find out himself what Delacy needed because she would never tell him.

"Thank you, Howl," Delacy whispered looking over the paints.

"You're welcome, Delacy." Howl smiled.

"My turn! My turn!" Markl yelled presenting his present.

Taking a step back, Howl smiled seeing the bright and large smile form on Delacy. A soft laugh left her, but she covered it with her hand. Reaching out to take the messily wrapped present, it was obvious that the ten-year-old had wrapped it himself. The present was wrapped with brown butcher's paper and it was tied with butcher's string in a simple bow. Tearing away the paper, Delacy was faced with a small pink box, lifting the lid off, Delacy's saw a necklace. It was a complicated design of a crescent moon made out of many tiny gold threads. Embedded in the many gold threads were little blue stones, lapis lazuli, Delacy thought.

"Do you like it?" Markl asked, worried when Delacy didn't say anything, he watched as the older woman brushed the charm.

Lifting her head up, Delacy smiled, a loving smile. "I love it!" She gushed pulling the boy into her arms. "Thank you so much, Markl! It's absolutely beautiful!"

"Really!" Cheered Markl, pulling his head back so he could see Delacy's face. "Howl helped me pick it!"

"Did he now?" Delacy questioned as she looked form Markl and then to Howl who was standing near Calcifer. "Well, you two did a fine job!"

"Put it on!" Markl exclaimed, pushing the necklace towards her.

Laughing gently, Dalacy picked the necklace up, moving her long hair to one side of her neck she began to put the necklace on. But her fingers wouldn't bend in the way she needed them to, seeing her struggles, Howl immediately rushed to her side. Taking the necklace from her hands, he clicked the necklace into place. Once done, he moved her hair back to her back

"Thank you, Howl." She smiled up at him.

Looking down, he smiled back, his now dyed blond locks falling onto his face. When Howl had first coloured his hair blond, Delacy couldn't help but see the similarity to her original hair colour. Not that she would have told Howl. But, she didn't know that she was right, Howl had indeed dyed his hair blond in remembrance of the blonde hair he used to love. Plus, Howl also liked how the blond brought out the shade of blue of his eyes.