Chapter IV

Taylor was sitting in her chair, taking in the view of the hospital ground, lush green scenery greeting her and the thick, thorny roses being watered by the old gardener. Her mind wandered over the events of last night, pondering over where she went wrong.

*flashback*

"Taylor Alison Swift. Will you marry me?"

Harry had gone down on his knees, his face lit up with a smile and a diamond ring which stood between his index finger and thumb. She could feel the nervousness on his face, his body posture and expression said so.

All around Taylor, the atmosphere was extremely quiet. A young woman in her early 20s, next to her table literally spat out the sparkling water that she had been drinking all night and another woman was glancing at Harry as if she had never seen such a man in her life before. Others were clearly awaiting Taylor's response and Gemma was silently sobbing into her handkerchief, mumbling that he had done it at last.

But Taylor seemed hardly affected by the environment yet her lips quivered to find words to explain.

"I-no. No, no. A hundred times NO! I'm not getting married to you or to anyone else! How can you just pull out a ring out of the blue and ask me to commit myself to you at the mere age of 24? Are you bloody out of your mind, Styles?"

Taylor blurted out, her eyes fixed on Harry's face who seemed to have frozen at the sudden outburst. The smile from his face quickly faded, having been replaced by an expression, one of apprehension and disappointment.

"But I thought-"

"You thought what, exactly? You thought that you're going to just present me with a ring worth thousands and then, expect me to say yes just because you are successful and handsome? YOU ARE WRONG, Harry!"

Taylor continued, her hand gripping the napkin in front of her as she noticed other people eavesdrop on their conversation. One of the waiters who had come out with a cake for the celebration, went right back in pretending that he hadn't seen the commotion. Some of the other clients just gasped at Taylor's reply.

"So you-"

"I decline, Harry Styles. I decline your offer. I refuse your proposal of marriage. Should I get it down in an agreement for you?"

Taylor answered crudely, getting up from the chair and making sure that her belongings were with her.

Harry had gone crimson red in the face, his emerald eyes seemed like they were just about to water anytime soon. Gemma, glared at Taylor, the softened expression on her face changing to one of anger and deep resentment.

If looks could kill, Taylor would be dead by now.

Harry dusted off his blazer as he got up from his knees, closing the encasing and shoving it in his coat pocket. All this while, he said nothing while Taylor had insulted him publicly . He simply had a look of innocence drawn over his face as he watched Taylor walk out on him and out of his life.

***

Taylor had of course, been fired by someone she had to shamefully admit as her Mom. Andrea had gone crazy on hearing about the refusal from Gemma and instantly called up Taylor, calling her strong headed and the like.

"Don't you understand? You'll have thousands of servants at your command, cars that one could dream of! Think of your social status in society! You just refused a most beneficial marriage, Taylor Swift!"

Andrea had cried on the phone, confirming Taylor's beliefs. She had thought that Andrea would definitely love to see her married to Harry, flaunt the treasure that she had owned for her son in law and spend mindlessly over her kitty parties and social gatherings.