Chapter Sixteen: Thunderstorm

Mitch's POV

Scott left. He hit me. He hit me then left.

*FLASHBACK*

I run into my house, sobbing. I slam my bedroom door shut and I just curl up in the corner of my room and continue crying... until I hear a knock at the door. I'm praying to god that it's not him.

"Mitchie? Are you okay?" Scott asks. He sees me and runs over to me. He kneels down and takes me into his arms.

"No, don't." I say, pushing him away. "Please don't hurt me."

"I'm not gonna hurt you, Mitch."

"But then you'll leave. Everyone leaves."

"I won't hurt you or leave you. I promise."

He starts to hug me again, and this time, I hug back.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

He lied to me. He broke the promises that meant everything to me. I decide to walk to Kirstie's. She's only a couple blocks away, and Scott took the car. 

As I'm walking, I hear thunder boom, I see lightning light up the sky, and I feel rain start pouring down on me. Thunder again rumbles. It rumbles loudly. I start to panic, and I run. I run to the only place I feel safe, and that's the theater. Nothing bad ever happens there. I start to run. When I get there, I yank the doors open, but they're locked. They took off the awning, so there's nothing to protect me from the pouring rain. I cradle myself in a ball on the ground, and I start to cry. Not cry, I start to bawl. I rock myself back and forth. Another thunder sounds the sky, and I jump, still cradling myself.

Scott's POV

I drive back and go up to our apartment. I open the door, but no one's home. 

"Mitch?!"

No response. Where could he be? I immediately think of Kirstie. 

"Hey, Scott. What's up?"

"Is Mitch with you?"

"No, why? What happened?"

"We got into a bad argument, and things were said. Now, it's pouring down the rain, and I can't find him, Kirstie."

"Have you checked the park?"

"I was just there."

"Are there any other places maybe between mine and your apartment that he might've gone? A safe place?"

The theater.

"I think I know where he is, Kirstie. Thank you!"

I hang up and drive to the theater. When I get there, I see a tiny figure, bawled up and rocking back and forth.

I get out of the car and run up to him.

"Mitchie?" I said.

He looks up at me, horrified.

"No, go away!"

"Mitch, please talk to me."

"Don't hurt me! Please!" 

The pleading in his voice kills me on the inside, but I've got to be strong. I take my jacket off, and I put it over him.

"Mitch, I'm not gonna hurt you."

"You hurt me, and then you left! You promised!"

"I know, and I'm so sorry, Mitch. I don't know why I left. I was just angry, and I'm so sorry for hurting you. I'm not like him. I'm not gonna beat you or make you do things, and I'm sure as hell not gonna leave."

He looks up at me, tears in his eyes. Another thunder claps, and he jumps and cradles himself again. I bring him into a hug. I help him stand up, and I take him to the car, where I put a blanket around him and turned the heat on. I know Mitch, and I know he'll talk when he's ready, so I turn on the radio, and of course, the song Say Something is on. I start to sing to it.

Say something. I'm giving up on you.
I'll be the one if you want me to.
Anywhere, I would've followed you.
Say something. I'm giving up on you.

"I love you. I'm sorry for not telling you, Scott. I'm sorry, but you broke two promises that meant everything to me, and I don't know if I can forgive you for that."

I have nothing to say, but a tear falls from my cheek. Dammit, Scott. Mitch starts singing.

And I will swallow my pride.
You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye.

I pull the car over, and I grab his hands. He flinches, but doesn't pull away.

"Please, don't say goodbye. I will do anything to be yours again. I love you, Mitch. I love everything about you. I love your deep brown eyes. I love your hair, how it always has to be to the side and straightened, but if it's not, you just steal one of my SnapBacks. I love your laugh. Your laugh if contagious. And your smile. God, your smile makes me melt. Your voice is mesmerizing. And you. I am so in love with you, Mitch. Please." 

By now, I'm crying, but so is Mitch.

"Let's go inside and talk." he says.