Chapter 2

Ana! Amelia! Wake up. Please," Simon shook the two bodies laying next to him. "You can't be dead. I just met you!" At that moment he gasped awake and found himself back in the tent with two very much alive people. Being in the mountains didn't make his nightmares any better. If anything they got worse because of all the noises.
     "Simon, it's okay. Calm down. We're all alive," Amelia reassured him.
     "Yeah, okay. Um, yeah." He murmured to himself for a second and remembered the other day. "What happened yesterday," he asked looking at Anastasia.
     "You passed out and fell off a small cliff and I stupidly fell with you to save you. You have nothing but scrapes and I sprained an ankle. Don't ask how. It's an incredibly stupid reason."
     "What did you-"
     "Don't," she cut him off with one word and a smile on her lips.
     "Okay," he said with a snicker, but it was obvious he was in pain.
     "Hey, a-are you okay," Amelia inquired.
     "Um yeah, sure." He was holding back tears. "Nevermind, nope, nope, nope."
     "Have my ski mask, it's pretty thick and should theoretically block noise, some noise." Ana handed him her mask over and he quickly but it over his head.
     "That's not much better but it'll work. So, what now?"
     "I guess we just need to trek ahead. And try not to die." Amelia looked at Simon when she said that and he laughed.
     "Yeah, let's pack up the tent." Ana seemed kinda distant when ever Amelia spoke.
     They packed up the tent and this time Simon carried it. All the water had frozen, therefore getting much lighter. They decided to keep carrying it just in case, but it was pretty much useless if they couldn't melt it.
     "Let's get this show on the road," Anastasia exclaimed with a smile on face. Ana used a stick they found as a crutch and walked slowly. But no one collapsed that day. At the pace they were walking at they could have found the center without dying in about a week. The water could sustain them, but that water was ice.
     Now, I said 'could have' because soon enough something will happen. But they will reach their destination... Eventually.
     "Hey, look over there! A cave!" Amelia screamed pointing toward the cave.
     The cave that they slept in wasn't necessarily a cave. It was more of a strange hollowed out boulder. They could fit their tent in, but nothing else. It did provide lots of cover from the ice sheets. They tried to light a fire but the wind put it out. The water was still in its solid form and the amount of food they had consisted of a couple jugs of ice, a cough drop, a pack of gum, and some beef jerky from the depths of Ana's backpack.     
     "We haven't eaten anything in days, so I think we deserve most of the beef jerky," Amelia and Simon made their point.
     "Okay, but how do you know I have eaten in the past few days?"
     "Well, have you eaten anything," Simon queried.
     "I have, but you didn't know and didn't ask so I deserve at least one third. You can the other two thirds." Ana passed out the jerky and they ate in gloom and silence.
     "We can't do this," Simon muttered to the darkness before falling asleep.
     "Maybe we can't, but we can sure as hell try," Anastasia muttered back then following Simons lead and fell asleep.
     While they were sleeping, as I have said before, the wind was crying. That night (or day, at this point they were inseparable) the wind was mumbling certain words. Now these winds weren't figuratively howling words, they were literally whispering into Ana's ears.
     "She saw six crows, as a black cat crossed her path, and bees swarmed her rotten tree.

'Wings in a cage and sunflower seeds
Laughing last year...
She turned her head away in frustration.'" As the wind whispered, Anastasia was tossing and turning in the tent. This message was meant for her, but why?
     "Josephine!" Ana awoke and screamed that name, waking everyone else up too.
     "Who's Josephine," asked Amelia, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.
     "M-my girlfriend."
     "What about her?" Simon was still recovering from her screaming and was having trouble thinking.
     "She wrote that poem. She wrote in elementary school, in the library. Jo wrote it from a book. I think they're called found po-oems." Anastasia sobbed out the last word and cried.
     "Why are you crying," asked Amelia quite insensitively for her sweet personality.
     Ana somewhat dismissed her and answered her question without knowing it.
     "All the first things the wind said are death omens. Six crows, black cat crossed her path, and bees swarmed her rotten tree." By now Amelia and Simon realized what Ana was getting at.
     "But those are all superstitions. They aren't true, right," Simon queried, not really wanting to know the answer.
     "You heard the wind talk, right? The world we live in is changing. 'Superstitions' are gonna become as true as wind whispering secrets." Anastasia silenced them with that, and they fell back asleep.