Chapter 6

It Was Him
___

"C-comander Sanders," gulat kong tugon.

Napangiti siya agad sa akin habang napahinga naman ako ng maluwag.

"Happy to see you again, Behati. Please sit," 'di ko alam kung matutuwa ba ako o mapipikon dahil sa tono niya nagmukha akong aso na pinapaupo.

Ngumiti ako sa kanya at umupo, "It's nice to see you again, Commander."

Hindi ko na siya muling nakausap pa noon at hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari sa kanya pagkatapos nun.

"How's everything, Behati? I heard you're a mother of two already," sabi pa niya.

"Yes Commander, and I left them in the Philippines for this talk," pabiro kong saad sa kanya

Napatawa siya nang bahagya at umiling-iling. "Yeah I know, sorry 'bout that. Enough of this little talk, let's get down to business." sabi niya naman.

Huminga muna siya ng malalim na para bang iniisip kung paano niya sasabihin ang nasa isip niya.

"Behati, we need your help," diretso niyang sabi. Agad akong nagtaka at 'di maintindihan ang sinasabi niya.

"What help? Is there another calamity?" kinakabahan kong tanong.

"No, no. This isn't about the world now, Behati. This is about....Peter. Your world."

Dahan-dahan akong napaayos sa pag-upo.

"What about him?"

Hindi ko maintindihan pa ang nararamdaman ko nang ngumiti siya. By the way that smile he did, I knew there was really something...good.

"I've been dying to convince the board to tell this to you immediately but they wanted to make sure the assurance of the discovery," panimula niya.

"Spill it, Commander."

"There's a huge possibility that Peter might have survived the explosion, Behati," diretso niyang sabi.

"W-What do you mean?"

"After almost a year of rebooting the system in Mars, we successfully repaired the satellite and the connections. You were aware that UASA lost its connection to Mars that's why they sent me back there," panimula niya. 

"Now. We have tracked the other debris of the asteroid including the Marsian 7832. But we have not found any sign of Peter's body nor space suit."

His statement pulled all my tears out. I don't know what else could I feel than of being showered by hope that my husband might have found a way to survive.

"We searched the possible distance and locations of the impact from the explosion and found the other parts of the Marsian 7832 in a group of dead asteroids. While searching around, our radar detected an Extravehicular Mobility Unit tangled within one of the satellites that you have used to destroyed the gigantic asteroid." He said in a voice full of hope.

"And it was him, Behati. Space Commander Rylandrien Peter Armstrong."