Chapter Three: Characterisation

There are a lot of components to go over under the umbrella of characterisation, so let's take it one at a time.

Y/N

Ah, our lovely Y/N needs a category of her own because she's just so... mind-numbing—I mean, amazing. If you want your books to get popular, Y/N fanfiction is always the way to go. Yeah, original characters are alright, but readers don't like envisioning anyone else with their faves. What's the point of fanfiction then?

Oh! You can't just use any Y/N!

Here are the basic characteristics of Y/N:

She must be funny, in a clumsy way. No, not actual humour, she needs to make those jokes—you know, "Jimin, you got no jams," like those no-jam jokes. Or she must be quirky—clumsy actions that make her look absolutely stupid and provide a quality experience of second-hand embarrassment, but no! The readers will think it's endearing so don't worry.

She needs to be savage. Not actually savage! She has to be unreasonably rude toward other characters and put up a cold, rude front. That's the ideal Y/N you want your readers to respect and look up to—the Y/N they want to be. Oh, but don't worry! Her asshole behavior will be justified by her depression or past trauma!

Y/N must be pretty. Even if she is described as "average-looking" or "mediocre," the image the author uses as her face claim (despite it being a reader insert) will be a drop-dead gorgeous ulzzang or idol. She will be humble though! Yes, Y/N will comment several times on how average-looking she is while BTS falls in love with her. Oh? The author says to imagine that Y/N is me? But Jungkook says he loves Y/N's glowing pale skin and I'm brown? 

• Lastly, all characters are flawed. Y/N isn't perfect; she's human like the rest of us. So clearly, she must be struggling with something, but what could it be? Oh, I know! Depression or PTSD! Make sure Y/N opens up about her tragic past to her love interest and you can forget it completely after he kisses her and "heals" her!

Y/N is a strong woman, but god, she's so fucking weak. Yes, Y/N can "stand up for herself" but when it comes to her love interest? No, she's passive. Jungkook's a psychotic murderer and harbors an attraction toward her? How could she refuse his love? See, the logic here is that since the BTS members are attractive, authors can romanticize things like that. Would you date a delinquent if he was ugly? Hell no. Would you date a delinquent if he was Jeon Jungkook? Hell yeah.

That's the basics of Y/N! If you want to go more in depth, just dumb her down a lot more. Side note that you can do this with OC's too, but readers love Y/N more.

Moving onto the beloved members of BTS...

Jeon Jungkook is a favourite. The majority of fanfiction out there is Jungkook x Reader (more importantly, bad boy Jungkook). Sure, you can write Jungkook to be the soft little maknae he is, but nobody wants that. He needs to be a gang leader or the "international playboy" he is. He wears nothing but black, he bullies other, lesser beings, and he has a thing for making Y/N blush! A package deal.

Park Jimin comes second in terms of popularity. In reality, Jimin is very respectful toward women and toward people in general. But throw that all away. On Wattpad, Jimin is the school's number one fuckboy, he's a demon from hell, he's a depressed kid fighting an eating disorder. He plays the hearts of women and readers love it. On top of all that, he has a nice ass. Your Jimin fanfiction is not a Jimin fanfiction unless Y/N swoons over the Jibooty.

Kim Taehyung seems to be equally as popular. This is where writers can go free into their fantasy realm. Taehyung is almost always a fuckboy, a demon, or the popular guy at school that Y/N hates (but he has a sad past so how could she hate him despite how many times he's bullied her?). When it comes to Taehyung, the rougher he is, the better. He might have anger issues too, but it's okay, Y/N still loves him! 

Min Yoongi is one of the more popular members to write about in the hyung line. Yoongi struggled with depression in the past so clearly, everyone loves to bring it up and write stories about it! Yoongi is either depressed, suicidal, or a piano teacher (that's depressed). The guy is never happy or shown to be recovering in fanfiction but that's okay. As long as it satisfies the readers, right?

Kim Namjoon is the second most popular in the hyung line. Generally, authors write him to be kind and very intelligent (ah, yes, his 148 IQ, because that's all there is to Kim Namjoon). If you don't want to read Namjoon fanfiction like that, then head on over to Wattpad smut! He takes a whole 180° turn there.

Kim Seokjin fanfiction is hard to come by. Typically, it's some sort of roommate or college AU. You honestly do not have to put in much effort into Seokjin's character. Just call him a "pink princess" or "eomma" to make your readers laugh. 

Jung Hoseok is the hardest to find. He's always the side character in fanfiction or, when he's featured, his character is always bland. It's okay, you can make up for it with smut! He's always portrayed as the happy and bubbly Hobi who is "my hope, your hope, J-hope."

In essence, stick to maknae line fanfiction because it's always in high demand.

A NOTE ABOUT CONSENT:

Consent is key, but not in the world of fanfiction. Of course, if someone you barely know pins you to the wall in real life then you'd be absolutely revolted. But fanfiction is different. You want a BTS member to pin you to the wall, and it doesn't matter how psychotic he is. They can refuse to ask permission whenever they touch Y/N and she and the readers will be completely fine with it because it's far too romanticised—I mean, romantic. Taehyung dragging Y/N to the bed by the wrist and growling at her? True love. Jungkook forcefully kissing Y/N when it's her first kiss (but she doesn't care)? Soulmates. Jimin ripping all of Y/N's clothes off before she has a chance to stand up for herself? Movie material. 

The bottom line is that consent in fanfiction isn't necessary—because it's BTS. BTS are young, hot men. In the fanfiction world, attraction prevails over rationality.

Next: Ship Fics