Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter Three

'So, this is your dorm. It's called Redwood and the house next to it is Maple. If you ever get lost, follow the signs to Willow. You'll find your way from there. You have a flat meet tonight at seven — I was blackmailed to say that — so, try to take it easy 'cause they can get kinda messy. Orientation is tomorrow at eleven. If you follow the crowds of people going in the same direction, you'll find it easy.' Amy looks up at me with a smile. 'Got it?'

I look at the girl who introduced herself as my senior mentor ten minutes ago, knowing I certainly haven't got it. As my new big sister (her words, not mine), Amy's here to answer any questions and make me feel as welcome as possible.

So far, she's doing a crappy job.

When she speaks, her hands do just as much work as her mouth and the smile plastered onto her face reminds me of Regina George's smile: fake and coated in Chanel. Not to mention the fact that she — with her pink clipboard and check lists in tow — pulled me away from the guy back there before I could even learn his name.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm complaining.  Not when he looked at me like that. A small part of me is glad for it and hopes I don't see him again. It's a big campus, after all. And I don't know what it is about him, but the way the edges of his smile didn't quite reach his eyes unnerved me. It settles deep into my stomach even now as I stand all the way across campus. Who was he?

'Haley?' Amy says. Her smile isn't friendly. 'You in there? The rain's getting heavier – god, we're gonna get soaked. Look, let's go inside and meet your dorm mates. They're all here already. You were a little late on arrival, so I bet they've already unpacked.'

Ironically, something in her tone makes me feel unwelcome, but I nonetheless follow her – because, well, what else can I do? As she pulls open the front door of Redwood's dorm, a crash of thunder rolls across the sky and the long-awaited downpour begins. I just miss it, hopping through the door with my case thumping heavily in tow. Silently, I hope this weather isn't some sort of omen.

'So,' Amy continues, leading me through the building that's more like a cabin, 'rules are pretty simple. You guys are just about free to do whatever you like, but obviously, you gotta remember you're not the only person living here.

'So, no loud music after midnight. During finals, that's reduced to ten. You'll have a cleaner come in every Friday for common areas like the kitchen and lounge – but it has to be tidy to get tidied, if that makes sense. The Wi-Fi password is cherub's valley – don't ask – and your room number is four. Oh, and don't kill anyone.' She looks up through her lashes. 'Got it?'

Meeting her brown eyes, I want to say no, I most certainly have not got it. But instead, I smile tightly and say, 'Yup. I think so.'

We step into the hallway and I hear a low murmur of conversation and laughter. The smell of burnt popcorn meets my nose as an alarm pings on and off. I take a deep breath.

Through those open doors are my dorm mates. My mouth goes dry at the thought. What if they hate me?

'You look terrified,' Amy says with a smile. Her hand grabs my arm and she pauses us to a halt. Just in time, too. Another few steps and we'd be out in the open. 'Honestly, Hails – can I call you that?' I nod. 'Hails, you're gonna be fine. It might not look like it, but everyone else feels the same.'

Before I get a chance to reply, a deep voice calls out through the hall. 'Amy, is that you?'

She looks at me and speaks even faster than normal. 'From what I've seen, they're a nice bunch. You'll get along just fine. Come on.'

Amy grabs my arm and tugs me out. I try to ignore how her fingernails dig into my skin like sharp pincers as we enter a large living space with sofas on one side and a kitchen on the other.