Chapter 1

Aesop's POV

Decoding with people had always been hard for
Aesop. He found himself anxious of their presence and doubting their skill. He himself was a perfectionist so he never had to worry about missing a calibration, however, what about the other survivors? What if they attracted the hunter?

Aesop didn't really have any problems with any of the survivors, it was just for the matches. Today it was with Helena, Kurt, Mike and himself. Thanks to Helena, he already knew that this match's hunter was Joker and that he was on the other side of the playing field so for now he didn't have to worry about him.

He continued decoding with Mike, even though he was babbling away in his ear. He knew that he was just trying to be friendly, every new survivor in the manor was like that. But it was off putting for Aesop especially today. Finally, Aesop gathered his voice,

"Morton, I'm sorry but I'm really not that good at talking and... sorry I'm just a bit nervous with the hunter being around somewhere. Maybe we could talk later?"
He said nervously, using 'just' to soften his words so he could communicate that he really wasn't angry at Mike, now just wasn't the time. Thankfully, Aesop felt the release of the cipher being completed and he was able to dash off to the next cipher, alone, before Mike could respond.

They only had one cipher left to go but the Joker was racking up hits now. Kurt was on a rocket chair and Helena had just been hit. Helena was their main decoder and a vital part of their team so Aesop, stopped, took a breath then opened his coffin.

Embalming was the only activity he enjoyed at the manor. He got to appreciate the survivors (the people he did actually care for though he never showed it) without having to have trivial conversations about matches

It was soothing. For him, at least.

Soon, an exact replica was complete in the coffin. Everything perfect down to the tartan pattern on her scarf to the buckles on her shoes. That's exactly the way he liked it. Perfect. He quickly stepped away and ran as he felt his heart begin to jump in his chest.

Kurt has been sent back to the manor even though Mike had gone to rescue him which also resulted in a hit for Mike. The silver lining in this was that Helena had gotten away and had decoded the last cipher in the church at the centre of the map. Aesop had been near to the exit gate and immediately started to open it. Mike had come running from behind him,

"The hunter is near me!"
He yelled, followed by Aesop's heart started to shudder. Great, he thought. He was so close to opening the gate but he was sure to get hit if he stayed there any longer.

Morton is already on half health though, Joker will favour him, Aesop reassured himself. The gate clicked open a second later and Mike dashed past him through it. Aesop quickly followed him through as the Joker's raged yelling got closer and closer behind him.

He woke back in his assigned room with the results on the beside table next to him.

Victory, 3 survivors escaped.