Chapter 7

Joseph's POV

Aesop didn't visit Joseph from then on. He saw him in matches but Aesop always was with another survivor (despite the fact Joseph knew he hated decoding with others) to avoid talking to him.

Joseph felt horrible, full of guilt and longing. He didn't even get the chance to apologise or negotiate with Aesop. He never thought he'd react like this.

Joseph didn't know when he'd get a to see Aesop again, let alone talk to him. He had been leaving letter upon in the agreed hiding spots but none of them were returned or even moved from the spots. Joseph wrote so many letters that they began to overflow and become noticeable in the hiding places so he had to take the old ones away each match.

Not to mention that Joseph was obviously distracted. Every match that Aesop was in, he was trying to talk to him but not get so close that other hunters or survivors noticed he wasn't attacking. The matches that Aesop wasn't in, he was digging around the letter drop offs checking if one had been taken and replacing the older ones. Each letter got shorter and shorter as well as more rushed and chaotic. However he didn't stop, he was restless and was planning to fake an attack on Aesop and stuff one of the letters in his pockets.

Obviously, all the distractions had made his match rate plummet. The other hunters were getting annoyed with him and started denying him from entering matches. That made Joseph hysterical with desperation. He spent every day and night, staring out his window just hoping he'd catch a glimpse of Aesop and possibly shout at least an apology at him. He wrote and read letter upon letter, scheming ways to get Aesop to forgive him and begging his comrades to let him in just one match.

Joseph had always been closest to Jack out of all the hunters. He was a good balance between outgoing and reserved as well as being extremely observant so he knew when Joseph needed space. He wasn't exactly the sympathetic type but Joseph knew he was pitying him now with the distraught way he was acting.

Jack came up to his room one night and gently knocked on the door. Joseph opened it with deep bags under his eyes and an even paler skin tone than usual. He looked sickly in short, Joseph would undoubtedly make himself ill if he carried on like this, Jack was there with an opportunity to put him in better spirits.

"I've convinced the other hunters to give you a chance. You will be coming with me in the 2v8 match tomorrow"
Jack announced with a blank expression.
Jack's expression nearly never changed from neutral, Joseph didn't see much point to the mask he wore in matches.

This news sent adrenaline through his veins, his energy and wide grin was almost infectious. He knew Jack wasn't exactly the most physical with other hunters so he just held his shoulders and squeezed gently,
"Thank you..."
He croaked, hanging his head in pure relief. Finally, he could see Aesop. He has to be in the game, he has to, Joseph thought. He believed that this had to be his redeeming chance.

Jack nodded short and pushed Joseph's hands off his shoulders before abruptly turning to walk away,
"Get some rest. I can't afford for you to let me down tomorrow."
He said, eyeing Joseph with the pressure of boulders behind them.

It was true that Jack didn't like hunters touching him, but it was the opposite with survivors. Not because he liked touching them but simply because he liked to make them feel smaller than they already were, like they were weak and inferior. Jack was one of the tallest hunters in the manor and he loved his height. It made him feel powerful and he never hesitated to exercise the confident power he felt in his height.

Joseph shut the door and immediately turned to his desk. Joseph was old fashioned, although he always argued saying he was 'simply appreciative of the tools my ancestors gave to me'. In truth, he simply found a nostalgic romance about writing the old fashioned way. The fountain pen was a new flashy invention in his time. He wrote in ink and quill on thin scroll like paper. He was so rushed today that his writing almost tore the paper. He despised the way he wrote at the moment. Where his hand writing was normally nimble and cursive, his stress has morphed it into a scratchy scrawl. However, it was readable and got his message across. He was satisfied with the short message of 'Please meet me in the hunter's garden. I'll explain everything. I'll wait for you, come no matter what.' And waited for the ink to dry.

He decided to heed Jack's words and settled on his bed, for the first time in weeks he slept relatively peacefully.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Another shorter chapter lolol! Sorry about that! This chapter is sort of a filler, I'm planning a twist for the next one. It has to hit rock bottom before it turns good again (oo)
I'm really enjoying reading your comments! I started to lose interest in writing this but reading that people are enjoying it spurs me on! ~(˘˘~)
My code for idv is 1187704 if anyone is interested
Thank you for all the support!