Chapter 12

Aesop's POV

(Warning expletives)

Aesop reluctantly left Joseph's room in the small hours of the morning knowing that both of them would refuse to leave each other's arms if he stayed all night. It was a half hearted exit fuelled by dozens of 'five more minutes' and longing kisses.

The walk back had always been disquieting with the dark corridors which bathed in a deafening silence. Aesop couldn't describe the feeling exactly but there had always been an eerie feel of being watched, especially when he snuck around in the shadows alone. The insulation had never been very effective in the manor so there was a constant chill, one that felt like tips of icicles working their way down Aesop's shoulder blades (especially now it was winter, he wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly had freeze burn on his back).

Aesop knew he was anxious- he'd always pinned this feeling down to his own paranoia but tonight he couldn't for the life of him make the same excuse. He was being watched. Trying to hear noises that could expose this unknown pursuer over the clack of his own footsteps against the tiles and the general calamity of the manor creaking and wavering was near impossible. However, Aesop didn't wait to listen harder and picked up his pace to get back to commonality, where the feeling of oncoming dread might fade.

The feeling of eyes on him became more and more intense until Aesop came to feel that the eyes were literally on him- inside of him- picking apart the thoughts and memories in him that he wanted nobody near, ever. His breath hitched upward into hyperventilation and he grabbed at his throat, hurrying forward toward his door. The embalmer fell through the wood, slamming it closed behind him so hard the hinges shook. Finally, the feeling dispersed and he let go of a shaky breath, the heat of it rising from behind his mask. What the hell... my anxiety hasn't been that bad since I got to the manor, even then it's never been like that, Aesop thought to himself as he steadied out his breathing at the door.

When Aesop opened his eyes again he yelped in surprised and pushed his body flat against the door for perching on the edge of his bed was Eli without anything covering his eyes. It was a sight Aesop had seen before but it was still abnormal. Eli had striking eyes, sapphire blue but not like Joseph's. Joseph's were like the colour of tropical water and soft around the edges. The sort of eyes that were disarming and charming, Aesop knew that personally from when he first took a proper look at Joseph up close. However Eli's were sharp and hard. They pierced into Aesop even when he wasn't trying to look intimidating. They were beautiful but the sort of eyes that made you take a step back 'just in case'.

"Eli.." Aesop began with a shaky laugh "You scared me, why are you-"
"Where were you?" Eli interrupted.

Aesop frowned, his tone was harsh, venomous like a poison tipped sword. This wasn't normal. You would never find anyone as trusting or as kind as Eli Clark, not in ten lifetimes but for some reason he was acting as if he were faced with a threat. Aesop was not a threat to him, they were best friends ever since they first entered the manor. Something must have possessed Aesop to do it but for the first time he lied to his best friend,

"I went to see the timetable for tomorrow's matches. I wanted to see if there was any on." Aesop explained, an eyebrow arched curiously at Eli.
He answered quickly, harshly, his voice flaring with indignation,
"For the last four hours?! Liar!" He yelled

Aesop gave a weak laugh, he'd been caught out. One foot was already in a quicksand grave. Avoid it, Aesop thought, Change the subject,

"How long have you been here, Eli? Are you having those nightmares again?" He asked, his tone empathetic and warm.
"Don't try and mess with me, Aesop!" Eli yelled, the anger bubbling inside him and ready to blow over, "I know everything!"