one

simon's pov
today is the day. my first day in a new school. i'm not good with new environments, i was so used to my old school. i was used to my old house, the only house i've ever lived in. the story of my old school, silver valley, had recently been all over the news. i can't help but feel nervous, i'm not good at reacting to change.

it was 7:10 when i got out of bed, my bus comes near my house at 7:30. i put on my new blazer and walked downstairs. the uniform was baggy on my lanky figure.

"simon, you look so smart!" my mom gushed.
"i hate this uniform," i scowled.
it was true, i hated this blazer. my old blazer fitted me perfectly, after shrinking in the wash that is.
"honey, i know it's hard after everything at silver valley.."
i tensed as my mom mentioned the incident at my old school. "i'm sorry, i shouldn't have," she said.

she passed me my breakfast, a bowl of porridge. i've been eating the same thing every morning for years. if you can't tell, i don't like change. infact my parents are convinced that i'm afraid of change. before we moved, i had the same friend group all my life. i played on the same football team since i was 6 and took the piano since i was 9. i know that i'm not ready for change, but i also know that i've been through so much worse. i could definitely get through my last year at secondary school alone, but who knows i might make a few good friends.

"bye mom," i called unenthusiasticly as i closed the door behind me.

manchester was a big city, but it was nowhere near as big as london. therefore, property is more expensive here. we lived in a huge house in manchester, with few neighbours. one bus and i was straight into the city center. here, we live in a house on a street full of houses. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't our old house. i was at the bus stop in no time. i walked passed the bus shelter and stood by myself. i noticed a tall blonde boy and a smaller brunette boy leaning against the bus shelter. they were talking and laughing amongst eachother. they look nice, but i think i've ruled out making friends. i also noticed a group of boys sitting inside the shelter. i assume that they're popular due to the fact that they're in the shelter. the bus pulled up interrupting my thoughts. i got on after everyone else, presenting my bus pass to the driver. i looked into the bus, realizing that everyone was staring at me. i noticed that the group of boys filled the back rows, joined by some others. i quickly sat up at the very front, putting my bag beside me.

the bus approached the school and there is only one word to describe it. massive. i got out of the bus first and stood gawking at the huge building.

"close your mouth, you'll catch a fly," a boy said, smirking. he had messy brown hair and bright blue eyes. he walked passed me along with his group of friends. he didn't give me a chance to reply, but quite frankly i was too nervous to reply. he didn't look like the boys at home. i felt mesmerized just by looking at him. i shook off my thoughts about him and entered the school. i made my way to the principal's office to see a black boy sat across from him.

"olajide, you can't keep causing commotion around the school. the next time i hear one bad thing about you, it's a three day suspension,"
"i'm sorry again, mr young," he said. he looked like he was trying to hold back a laugh. i quickly realized that he was one of the boys at the back of the bus. he got up and walked out, not even acknowledging that i was there.

"so, you must be simon minter?" the principal said. he barely looked at me.
"that's me," i said.
"welcome to smithfield," he said, handing me my timetable and locker key.
"if you need anything, the school therapist's office is right beside mine," i thanked him and walked out. my parents decided not to tell my new school about where i had came from.

the halls were crowded. i wasn't used to anything like it. there were swarms of people all around me. i found my locker and offloaded all of my books. my first three periods were biology, maths and english. i didn't know where any of the classrooms were and i had no plans on asking anyone. the bell rang as i closed my locker. i noticed the boy from earlier closing his locker beside me.

"it's rude to stare," he said, smirking again.
i don't know what it is about him. it's like i forget how to speak when he's around.
"i'm kidding, what do you have?" he asked.
"b-biology with mrs rice," i tried not to stutter too much.
"me too, she's a drag," he said, leading me towards the classroom.
"i'm harry, and i'm guessing you're new," he said.
"yeah, i'm simon," i said.
"well, this is it," he said, stopping in his tracks. i thanked him and followed him in.

"hello, i'm mrs rice. you must be simon," she said.
"yeah, that's me," i said awkwardly.
she pointed towards the back of the classroom and assigned me my seat. it was beside the tall blonde boy from the bus shelter. i sat down and put my bag on the floor, taking out what i needed. i noticed the blonde boy staring at me.

"hey, i'm lachlan," he said in a thick australian accent.
"i'm simon," i said looking up at him.
"so you're new here?" he asked.
"yeah, i just moved," i said.
"good luck," he sighed.
was it really that bad? i don't want to work myself up but lachlan has made me worried.
"and stay away from harry, he's trouble,"

A/N: hi everyone, thank you for reading this! this is my first book and i hope you enjoy it. i don't want to rush into it but it will get better. please like and add this to your library if you enjoyed it. :)