Heart to Heart

"I'm sorry, the pictures caught my eyes". I apologised, my face was red from being caught starring at Tangyi's childhood pictures.

"Its okay son" she moved to hold the frame that held her sons picture. Her finger slid over the glass and a her lip turned up at the corner.

"He really was a cute kid, now he doesn't smile often".

"I think he still is cute with his serious expressions" I blurted out.

She looked at me and nodded her head. "You must be the person keeping my son back in the city" she said smiling at me.

"Oh my God, sorry I'm shaofei. Tangyi works for me" I said quickly moving to shake her hand.

"Ohhh really just works for you?" She said looking at me with an all knowing smile.

'Guess Tangyi told her already'

"He's also my boyfriend" I said after stepping back and playing with my fingers.

"Well for what it's worth, he's lucky to have you" she said pulling me into a bone crushing hug. "Now I can finally attend a same sex marriage" she said breaking the hug and stroking my arm.

"Ma.. hope you're not telling him weird stories" tangyi sudden question made both of us come apart as we whip our head towards the door. He walked back into the living room. He stood beside me and held onto to my waist lightly pulling me into his side.

"Tang...stop your mom's right here" I said lightly slapping the arm holding my waist.

She only chuckled and gave me a bright smile.

"Guess I should leave you two to it, I'll go show my skills in the kitchen" she said before turning around and walking into the kitchen.

I was about to offer my help when Tangyi's arm rose up from my waist and ruffled my head before resting his hand on my nape.

I looked up at him "what's that for?" I asked him.

"Nothing, just felt like tousling your hair". He smile down at me.

"I feel bad, I'll go help your mom"

"Goodluck with that, she normally kicks me out".

I still needed to try, maybe I can use this to learn a few dishes for Tangyi. I unwrapped myself from underneath Tangyi's arm and marched to the kitchen.

"Is there anything I can help with?" I said poking my head inside the door.

I was immediately met with warm glistening eyes. "Sure son, come in"

Tangyi must have heard her invite me in as he shouts from the living room. "Whatt...how is he allowed in and I'm never allowed in".

"Because I like him and he's cute" she shouted back at him.

Her answer left me shocked. 'She likes me already and I only introduced myself'. I immediately felt warm and fuzzy inside.

"Yea okay, he is really cute so I won't get jealous" Tangyi shouted back again making both of us roll our eyes and break out laughing.

After a few hours in the kitchen I learnt two very simple dishes. 'How does she make cooking easy and fun'. I guess that why Tangyi had an interest in cooking and turned out to be an amazing cook.

The food were placed on the table and we were sat around it. She served me a bowl of rice before serving Tangyi's and hers. The spread on the table looked amazing and I couldn't wait to dig in.

"This tastes so good" my eyes were practically sparkling at the delicious taste tingling on my tongue. My mouth refused to let go of the cutlery in my mouth as I slowly chewed and savored the taste.