chapter two

〚THE MALL RATS〛

JUNE 29TH, 1985

HAWKINS, INDIANA

CINDY HARRINGTON WOKE up on her living room couch, groaning as the sunlight seeping in through the curtains blinded her

CINDY HARRINGTON WOKE up on her living room couch, groaning as the sunlight seeping in through the curtains blinded her. Rolling over to look at the clock on the side table next to her, she groaned again, louder this time. 

Upon hearing his sister's groans coming from the living room, Steve Harrington waltzed into the living room, a BLT sandwich in hand as he sat down on the couch she was laying on. 

"Would you look at that? Sleeping Beauty is finally awake!" Steve placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, shaking her lightly, laughing as she groaned. 

"Did we fall asleep down here?" Cindy squinted as she looked at her brother, her voice thick and slurred from sleep.

"You did. We were in the middle of The Shining when you fell asleep, so I turned it off and went to my room." Steve looked at her as she squinted at him, her dark brown hair going in every direction and sleep in her eyes.

"And you didn't think to wake me up so I could sleep in my own bed? I think I have a crick in my neck now." Grabbing the back of her neck, Cindy winced as she began to rub where the soreness was.

"Yeah, I tried. But you were passed out so I put a blanket over you and went to bed. You're welcome." Steve smiled goofily at his sister, who stood up and make her way to the kitchen.

"Whatever," Cindy walked towards where the phone was on the wall, "It's nine-thirty. Mike should've been here by now."

Punching in the Wheeler's home number, Cindy leaned against the wall as the phone rang on the other end.

Watching her, Steve rolled his eyes and went back to eating his sandwich, standing up to turn the TV on.

"Hi Mrs. Wheeler, it's Cindy." Cindy smiled at the voice of the woman on the other end. "Yes, is Mike there? Great. Could I speak to him? Thank you so much."

Wincing as Mrs. Wheeler screamed Mike's name into the phone, Cindy waited for the boy to pick up the phone, twisting the phone cord around her finger.

"Hello?" Mike's voice came through the other end. Cindy perked up, putting her full attention into the phone.

"Where are you?" Cindy asked the boy, rolling her eyes as she caught her brother staring at her.

"Cindy...I'm so sorry...I was, um...just about to call. I can't see you today." Mike stuttered into the phone. Cindy's face scrunched in confusion.

"What do you mean, 'you can't see me today'?" Cindy questioned, flipping Steve off who was raising his eyebrows at her from the living room.

"My Nana. She's very sick."