Chapter 6: The Whole Truth

"Hey, how you doing?" a voice asks me as I slowly regain consciousness.

"Not too good" I reply, noticing that the voice I'm talking to is Cris'. I try to sit up from the couch I'm laying on, but my head is so heavy it forces me back down.

"What happened?" I ask Cris. He sits on the ottoman next to the couch, looking extremely concerned as he places his hand on my forehead.

"You were attacked by...something. Don't you remember?" he asks me.

"I think so" I reply, searching my brain for answers. "I was walking with Laurie to the parking lot when I noticed Julia following us. She was acting very strange, almost stalker-like, so I decided to check and make sure she was ok" I recall.

"Then what happened?" Cris asks.

"I asked Julia if she was feeling alright because she looked really sick and pale, but her response was weird. She said she was hungry. And then..." I stutter, starting to remember in more detail.

"It's ok Leah," he says, trying to comfort me as I start to shiver.

"She attacked me! Julia, she literally bit my neck like some sort of animal!!!" I say, crying now. "Cris, I almost died." I grab my bandaged neck, suddenly feeling pain from the injury underneath.

"Do you remember how you scared her away? By the time I got there, she was already gone" he asks, his concern increasing.

"Um, well sometime during the attack I was able to look at her, and then she grabbed her head and screamed like she was hearing some high-pitched noise. I guess she was in so much pain that I didn't matter anymore. She just sped away" I say, looking at Cris as his nervous pace returns.

"Whoever did that, I'd really like to thank them. I'd be dead if it wasn't for them" I add.

"Leah..." Cris says as he wipes his face. "I don't think anyone else was there. Have you ever talked to your parents about your heritage? Like who your ancestors were?"

"I couldn't even if I wanted to. I was adopted when I was really young. I don't even remember my biological parents. Why?" I ask him, confused once again.

"Because I shouldn't be the person to have this conversation with you!" he says, raising his voice a little.

"Look, I have no idea what this is about, but please don't hold back. Tell me the whole truth! I was almost murdered by a back-from-the-dead popular girl, so my day can't get much worse," I tell him.

"Alright, but promise me you won't freak out," he says. 

"I promise," I reply. 

 "Ok, so that girl Anne? Who murdered Julia? Well, she was no ordinary girl. She was a vampire. So was that creepy guy in the office, Holden. And now, so is Julia because Anne didn't kill her, she turned her. After Julia was turned, she needed to feed in order to complete her transition, which is where you come into play. You would probably be dead right now if it wasn't for a normally dormant part of your brain that allowed you to basically give Julia a constant aneurysm. Now, I don't know anything about where you come from, but your ancestors were likely witches. And now that you awoke your abilities to save yourself from Julia, your magic is active. And that's the whole truth." Cris concludes, looking at me intently. 

After trying to hold it in, I can't help but burst into laughter.