【four】

ᛋᚺᛁᛖᛚᛞ ᚺᛖᚱ. ᛈᚱᛟᛏᛖᚲᛏ ᚺᛖᚱ. ᛞᛖᚠᛖᚾᛞ ᚺᛖᚱ,
ᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚺᛖ'ᛚᛚ ᚷᛟ ᛏᛟ ᚹᚨᚱ ᚠᛟᚱ ᚤᛟᚢ ᛚᛁᚴᛖ ᚾᛟ ᛟᚾᛖ ᛖᛚᛋᛖ.
Shielð hana. Protect hana. Defenð hana,
ok hon munu líðtilr striith fyrir þú lítneir einn else.
'𝚂𝚑𝚒𝚎𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛. 𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚛. 𝙳𝚎𝚏𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛,
𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚑𝚎'𝚕𝚕 𝚐𝚘 𝚝𝚘 𝚠𝚊𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚗𝚘 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚎𝚕𝚜𝚎.'

Overgrown brush and forest hid the Mikaelson plantation from the main road. As Alex drove through the trail, she couldn't help but duck slightly at the branches that hung too low for comfort, though she was safe within the cabin of her truck. She swore she was paying someone to take care of the land, but it seemed as if no one had been through the long driveway in years. An incessant humming within her ears made her brow contort into a scowl; no more than the trill of a mosquito, and yet ever present.

As a distraction, she tried to think of the last time she was home; the last time she lived on this land. The last time she willingly brought herself through this overgrown trail to stay for longer than a few hours at a time. She had spent so much time avoiding the place that she had lost Tatia that she truly couldn't remember the last time she really was home.

Alex couldn't remember her ancestors being so angry with her that they would torture her with such a high-pitched buzzing in her ears. She took one hand off the steering wheel to run it across her face, quickly pressing her fingers against her temple to try to negate the impending migraine that was sure to come. Exhaling sharply through her nose, she continued to navigate through the woods.

The buzzing in her ears grew louder the closer she got to the estate, and Alex couldn't tell who was more upset; herself for neglecting the original site of Mystic Falls, or her coven for rarely returning home. She made a mental note to spend more time here to appease the spirits, assuming that her connection to the other side had been dwindling. She couldn't see any other reason for them to be so loud, especially because she had been refraining from using her magic. She couldn't alert Niklaus to her whereabouts, and she surely didn't want him to know that she was back in Mystic Falls.

As Alex approached the section of the dirt side-road that met the asphalt, she looked up to see the gate to the brick mansion slightly ajar. As she climbed out of the truck, keys in hand, she studied the iron gate. The copper lions that stood at each side had turned green from oxidization, and the plaque with their family name dangled by the only screw that remained in the stone.

The Mikaelson Plantation

c. 1769

Alex walked across the small bridge that led to the front gate of the property. As she opened the gate and stepped across the property line, the buzzing stopped. Something, or someone, was calling her home. Alex closed the gate behind her, a feeling of content washing over her as she admired the maintained lawn and polished stone. She continued up the cobblestone path that led to the front step of the estate, spinning her keys around her fingers.

Alex's eyes trailed up the front of the estate. The tall white pillars that surrounded the front door of the brick building made her feel small. The six chimneys that stood tall amongst the roof of the building, however, led her to let out a laugh. Whatever Katherine and Toriana wanted, they got.

With the keys turned in the lock of the deep blue front door, the hinges sighed as the door pushed open. Alex looked down as the door swung open, her eyes landing on the two radiators on each side of the hall dating back to the 1920s. As she closed the door behind her, the lion-head knocker clanked against the hardwood. She knew that there weren't many who would venture out this far into Old Mystic Falls, but she made sure to lock the door behind her anyway.