The Song That Ended It

You had been in your room for hours now; your headphones in, staring at the ceiling.

You weren't sure what time it was anymore- and you didn't really care.

Because all you could care about was the song that had been on repeat in your ears since the morning. That one sentence playing over and over and over- so many times that you were sure it was permanently carved into your brain by now.

break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored

There were so many things that could mean. So many questions that came with it. But the one that haunted you the most was; is this about me?

Secretly, you knew you were kind of hoping it was about you. Who else could it be about? You were the one that she missed, the one with the "girlfriend".

Yeah.

"Girlfriend".

As much as you and Hailee had been going out- you still hadn't made it official. Which was okay with both of you, you weren't exactly in any kind of rush to be in a relationship. But- this song was going to set you back a while for sure.

Hailee wasn't an idiot. She could see just as you could all of the subtweets, the posts with the vague captions implying how much Ariana missed you. You really didn't blame her for not wanting to start anything serious just yet.

Who did you blame?

Ariana.

You didn't understand why she would do this. You told her what needed to happen, and she told you it wasn't going to happen. If she wanted you so much why couldn't she just....admit it? For real. Not just some "please come back" tweet that everyone thinks is about.... Pete.

Yeah, the fact that she was with someone else really got to you too. How could she sit there and release a song to millions of people telling you to break up with your girlfriend? Why doesn't she break up with hers?

You had spent some of the morning wondering what he thought of this new song. Did he think it was about him? Does he even know about you? He probably didn't.

Your mind was turning out new questions and thoughts at a mile a minute. You almost felt sick.

What was worse was most of the thoughts wanted to do exactly what the song told you to.

What if you did break up with Hailee? Find Ariana's number again and tell her how much you had missed her too. Let things go back to how they had been. But, you knew you couldn't. You'd feel loved for a while, the adrenaline of leaving everything behind to be with your "soulmate" giving you some happiness for a while. But what happened after that? She'd go back to hiding you, keeping you in the house- getting another fake boyfriend?

You couldn't just let her tear you apart again.

Right?

You were happy- you had Camila, and you had your music and you had Hailee. You were getting out of the apartment more now- even branching out to go out with Camila and the girls sometimes. You were going out on actual, fun dates with an amazing girl. You were comfortable and happy and safe.

And that was what you needed now.

Right?

You let the hours (or what you guessed were hours) slip away from you thinking about it all- your eyes getting puffy and your heart feeling like it was so heavy that it was going to sink out of your chest and through the floor. One moment filled with hope- hope that this song was her way of saying she's changed and that she'd change. The next moment filled with sadness over losing this new, healthy life you had found.