Part 1

So this is a rewrite of The Death Cure and basically a "what if" kind of thing. Also I changed the timeline between the TDC and TST to three and half months instead of six.

Have just finished reading the books and I sincerely prefer the movies. As such I will be using the movie for most of the story but the books will be referenced in the following chapters.

-------

The bag ripped from Teresa's head and she looked up to the person who had removed it, running a hand through her hair. She looked around and found Thomas, along with Newt, Brenda, Frypan, Brenda's father and...

"Gally?" She asked in a surprised tone. The last time she had seen him he was lying on the floor with a spear through his chest.

He straightened from where he was leaning on the table, "Alright here's how this is going to work. We're going to ask you some questions and you're going to tell us exactly what we need to know. We'll start of simple, where's Mhino?"

Teresa focused her attention on Thomas, "You guys don't actually think-"

Gally cut her off by slamming down a chair in front of her and sitting in it, "Don't look at him, why you looking at him? He's not gonna help you. Look at me."

Thomas looked up briefly from the floor and met Teresa's eyes, she fiddled with her hands and looked away. Satisfied, Gally continued.

"Now we know you have Mhino in the building. Where?"

She breathed, "Sub level 3, he's in holding there with the others."

"How many others?" Newt sounded hesitant.

"Twenty-eight."

Everyone looked to Brenda. She answered their silent question, "I can make that work."

"No you guys don't understand. The entire levels restricted, you can't get in without a thumbprint ID."

"That's why you're going to come with us." Teresa was surprised Gally even allowed Thomas to speak.

"Well I don't know," Gally said, "We don't necessarily need all of her." He picked up a scalpel from the table, "Just her finger."

"Gally back off," Thomas said in a warning tone.

"What are you squeamish? I guarantee you she's done worse to Mhino."

Thomas rose from his seat and took the scalpel, "That's not the plan Gally. Back off."

"It doesn't matter," Teresa told them, "Do whatever you want to me, you still won't even make it through the front door. The sensors-"

"We know, we're tagged." Thomas said walking towards her, "Property of WICKED?" He held up the scalpel to her, "You're gonna help us with that too."

--------

"You still think about him?" Ava asked her, "I can help you with that you know. Those memories. There's no reason to keep them. It's a simple procedure."

"There is a reason." Teresa told her, still focusing her attention on the city, "I want to remember. If we find a cure...that's the only way all this was worth it."

She slowly brought a hand up to rest on her stomach, well aware that Ava was watching her. Out of all the people at WICKED Ava was the one she trusted the most. And had been the only she had trusted to keep her secret.

"Are you sure Teresa? There's still time."

Teresa thought of Thomas, of his lips on hers. The happiness he had brought her. She knew that was something she never wanted to forget. She nodded, unable to form words.

She still had time.

--------

Teresa worked quietly on removing Thomas's tracker, glancing at Brenda a few times. She went back to her work.

"She's looking good. Healthy. How you've been getting her serum?" She carefully cut into his skin and cleaned her knife.

"Who?"

Teresa sighed, "Brenda. I didn't think she'd still be alive. When was her last treatment?"

"Right arm. The last time we saw you."

Teresa stopped working, "But that was months ago."

"So?" Thomas asked.

"Nothing."

Teresa continued to work, storing away the information for later. If she was going to tell Thomas now would be the time, and there was no guarantee Ava wouldn't wipe her memories anyway. She got the end of the tracker and leaned over to whisper in his ear nonchalantly.

"I'm pregnant."

Thomas jerked away, bringing a hand up to his neck as the tracker came out from under his skin. He stared at her, "It's not possible."

"You and I both know that's not true. It's per-"

He cut her by standing up and moving the chair, starting to walk away, "Alright that's enough."

Teresa threw down her instruments in anger and followed him a few steps, "You don't believe me?!"

He whirled around to face her, emotion written all over his face, "You really expect me to?" His eyes grew glassy and Teresa could see the barely contained tears. His voice was thick as he told her: "You made your choice."

And Teresa knew she had. She was in love with him after everything. And maybe he was in love with her as well, but their present situation had room for anything but love and feelings.

Gally came up behind Thomas, "Everything okay over here?"

They stared at each other a bit longer, "Yeah." Thomas answered, "Yeah we're done."

Gally escorted Teresa to a room while the others got ready, but she was able to take a cloth soaked with Thomas's blood. She had a theory why Brenda wasn't turned, and she needed to test it.

--------

Gally found Thomas outside, just staring out at the city they were about to invade. He stood by him with his hands in his pockets. After a bit he spoke.

"So what'd she tell ya."

Thomas continued staring, then finally answered, "That she's pregnant."

Gally couldn't help himself, he laughed out loud at that one. "That's ridiculous, does she even have...." But one look at Thomas and he trailed off.

"Thomas," he said with warning, "Please tell me it's not possible. That you did not sleep with her"

He only sighed noticing the use of his name and not "greenie". "I wish I could."

Gally shook his head and leaned on the railing, "So you think she's lying or telling the truth?" Thomas didn't respond. "Greenie!"

Thomas snapped out of his haze, "To be honest I have no idea. I want to trust her but..."

"You're in love with her aren't you." A pause.

"I don't know."

Gally huffed, "I think you do. Just be careful," Thomas turned to look at him, "You have this problem where you can't walk away from people, even when you should. Can't save everyone Thomas."

Thomas looked out again to the city, thinking of a captured Mhino, a dying Newt, and the child that may or may not be in Teresa's womb. He turned to Gally, his eyes flashing with an unknown emotion.

"I can try."