Chapter 9

Minaal returned home soon after Aariz came to meet her. Faiz hadn't said much until they got home, at that moment, Minaal's good health was more important than any other conversation. He was an understanding brother. He was her friend, her critique but also her stanch supporter. Everything that Minaal's father wasn't, Faiz was all that to Minaal as her brother. Sometimes she saw him and felt as if his hand on her head as a gesture of affection was more fatherly than brotherly.

They entered the apartment and Faiz insisted on Minaal getting some rest despite how much she tried to decline it. She was feeling better, so she didn't want to confide herself to her bedroom over some weakness in health. But on Faiz's insistence, she did that anyway. Faiz opened the curtains in her room so the afternoon light could brighten her room as she took a seat on her bed. Reaching her side and sitting close by, Faiz stared at his sister.

"Tabiyat itni kharab karli tum ne, sirf ek case ki waja sey?"

"Esha ke case mein apna akss nazar aya tha, samjh hi nai ayi mein kaise itni kamzor parr gai. I am sorry bhai-"

"Nahi. Sorry mat bolo. Minaal agar apne maazi ki koi talkh haqeeqat kisi aur ki ankhon ke haal mein nazar aye toh us sey khud ko nahi, us haqeeqat ko kamzor karo. Jo Esha ke sath hone wala tha woh nai hua, jo tumhare sath Baba Jaan karne wale thay woh bhi nai hua. Kia yeh baat kaafi nai ke khuda tumhe aur Esha ko ek behter zindagi dena chahta hai? Tum Esha ki awaaz ban sakti ho, usey insaaf dilao. Takay dunya mein aisi ghatiya soch rakhne walon ko pata chalay ke aurat mard ke paer ke neeche dabne wali cheez nahi balkay us ke sath chalne wali ek jeeti jaagti insaan hai jiski apni soch, pasand na pasand hai. You are so clever, so intelligent. Your profession is your vehicle for change. Esha's case is the journey to that change. You must live it, and you must win it. And I know you can."

A smile reached her lips. Maybe these words were all that she needed.

"Aap ko hamesha pata hota hai ke mein kab kia mehsoos karti hoon, aur aap hamesha wohi baat karte hain jo samjh ati hai."

"Chalo mein kisi kaam toh ata hoon."

He had said chuckling, Minaal's smile had deepened too.

"Acha ab fikar kam karni hai, aur dil laga ke case per kaam karna hai. Warna puray £200 ki plenty paregi tumhe."

"Okay boss."

A casual silence fell between the siblings. Minaal looked towards the window but with no emotion on her face. She was probably lost in her own thoughts while Faiz just stared at his sister with admiration in his eyes. Her calm posture was telling that she was feeling better. She was living. For a lot of reasons including her education, her career, her friends, the bond with Faiz and also him. A small smile reached his lips as he remembered his meeting with Aariz earlier at the hospital.

"Aariz toh textiles ka business nai kar raha tha?"

Minaal was shocked at the sudden mention of Aariz but she tried not to show it.

"Textiles ka hi kaam hai uska."

"Toh British council or forced marriages se kia link hua phir?"

"Woh trustee hai un charities ka jo Pakistan aur UK mein common issues per kaam karti hain. So forced marriages, slavery and domestic abuse etc. British council was apparently giving out contracts with these charities and Aariz and his friend took it up."