Chapter 2: Taste

"What the-" I let out a little yelp when I felt something rubbing against my leg as I closed the door of my apartment. I was heading to the hospital since we did clinical internships apart from having to go to class.

The moment I saw a white and brown cat, I instantly relaxed. I grabbed it from the floor and pulled it against my chest. "Hey sweetie, where did you come from?" My voice getting softer.

I looked around for its owner and saw the last door in the hallway cracked open. Slowly, I walked towards it, really hoping the neighbor who owned this cat came out and I didn't have to walk inside.

I heard a voice coming closer. "Theodore! Where you at?"

An old lady appeared behind the door, a full smile on her face. "Oh, dear! You found him!" I handed the cat to her and she pressed it against her big breasts. "This little man is going to be the death of me!" She approached me and turned around looking at the door. She gestured to it. "Somehow, he figured out how to open it. Isn't that genius, dear?"

I nodded and gave her a tight smile as I slid my hands inside my denim jacket's pockets.

"I'm actually thinking of signing him up on a TV program. You know, one of those talents shows. Don't you think it'll be a good idea, dear?"

"Yes, absolutely." I nodded once again.

"You're the new one, right? What's your name, dear? I'm Margaret." She extended her thin hand towards me. She smelled strongly like rose water.

"I'm Riley." I shook her hand.

"You're beautiful, young lady." I smiled at her. "Fancy some cookies? I've just made them!"

"No, thank you so much, Margaret. I was about to leave."

"Oh, I see." The woman smiled at me and the way she looked at me with those clear blue eyes behind those small metallic glasses gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. "Well, if you need anything just knock on my door right, dear? I know it gets a little lonely sometimes in the city."

"You're not from here?" I dared to ask.

"Oh, no! I've always felt like a stranger in this city. My husband was destined here, you know?" Her eyes became sad and a melancholic feeling surrounded us. "But that's a story for another day!" She pushed me gently and waved her hands at me. "Now, go! I don't want to distract you!"

I let out a little laugh as I tucked my short hair behind my ear and began to walk towards the stairs. "Goodbye, Margaret."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're having drinks after work, what do you say?"

"Me?" I asked Ashley, who was looking at me with a big grin on her face.

"No, the girl behind you." To be honest, I was tempted to turn around and check. "Of course, silly!"

"I don't know, I have to be up early..."

"Come on, it'll be a great opportunity to meet new people, have a good time." My manager stepped forward and put a hand on my shoulder. "Do it for me? Please?" She pouted.

Even though I really wanted to say no, I couldn't. I was so tired from the hospital and the store that the little energy I had left when I arrived home was employed to make something to eat and have a long, relaxing shower. "Okay."

"Don't make that face!" She exclaimed. "You act like I just asked you to take another shift." Ashley laughed.

I smiled at her and continued with my task, driving things from the store to the stockroom and back.