Chapter 1

- - -

If you had asked Captain Marvel that morning what he thought he'd be doing today, the last thing he would have told you was fending off blasts of magical energy from robotic machines hell-bent on chasing him down. 

Seriously, these things felt like they were targeting him! One minute he'd be taking them out with Flash by his side, and the next he's rocketing upward to avoid bright green 'Cap seeking' blasts.

It seemed like the rest of the League members that were there were beginning to take notice as well, with some of the others sending confused and worried glanced his way. 

Captain Marvel dove out of the way of another green burst of energy before electrocuting one of the robots-- which usually would take something like this down, but these things seemed near impervious to his lightning. 

It was beginning to look more and more like Cap was gonna have to play decoy, since Superman, Batman, and Flash were having no trouble taking these things out their way.

The most he could do was really stun these things for a few moments before they started chasing him again, sometimes even faster than before!

That might have been because whenever Cap got even remotely close to one of these things they locked onto him, so he currently had a whole horde of the metallic things chasing after him. 

Captain Marvel glanced back, thrusting his hand out and putting up a magical barrier. The robots crashed right through it with ease, making the demigod roll his eyes.

He glanced down at the sound of crunching metal, finding Wonder Woman slashing through the bots with ease. Zatanna stood at the Amazonian's back, consistently firing off spells and magical blasts at the annoyances.

"Am I seriously the only one having trouble here?!" he yelled, rolling out of the way of another magical blast. "Cause it feels like I am, and I'm pretty sure that's cheating!" he called out, eyes widening when a robot got the drop on him and appeared in front. 

The Captain yelped and rocketed upward, a wall of robots on his tail.

"A little help here?!" he yelled against the wind beating on his face, glancing down to find Green Lantern, Superman, and Wonder Woman giving chase to the robots and slowly cutting them down.

Marvel turned, divebombing down and swerving between blasts. It seriously felt like these things were made specifically with him in mind, and it was getting on his nerves. 

He hated feeling like he couldn't do anything to help out. The man grit his teeth and narrowly dodged a particularly large blast, the magical heat enough to make him wince.

"Why are they coming after me?!" he said, putting a hand to the comm in his ear. Maybe someone had some sort of an idea as to what was happening here.