Chapter 4

"Ugh, This is getting repetitive," Hal said, green light enveloping him as he floated up into the air. Another scene materialized around them, but this one was a stark difference from the last- and it sent a chill down Victor's spine.

- - -

This one was different. For one, they were outside- it was dark and rain pelted the asphalt around the heroes in a harsh haze. 

Thunderous clouds rolled overhead, the sky looking as if it was about to split open and devour Fawcett City in a fit of rage. It was a stark contrast to the sunny town that the heroes were familiar with and immediately put them on edge.

"No no no no-" they heard a voice say, the group looking around for the source before hearing thudding footsteps and splashing water. 

A boy, about age 9, ran around the corner of the alley, slipping in a puddle and nearly falling before gaining his balance again and continuing to run. 

His sneakers looked worn, the red hoodie he was wearing looking faded with a few holes in the fabric.

The kid had his hood up, though it did nothing to hide him from the rain since it was drenched. Thick black hair stuck out the front of it, plastered to the boy's face as he ran.

 It was easy to tell this was Billy- though he was quite a few years older now if the ill-fitting clothes were anything to go by.

The raven glanced back over his shoulder, breathing heavily as he continued to run from whatever was chasing him. This proved to be a mistake, as he ended up tripping over some thick black cords lying in the middle of the alleyway. 

 The 9-year-old was sent flying, crashing into the wet asphalt with a small cry. He hit it hard, throwing out his arm in an attempt to catch himself and only ending up falling on it.

Billy lay in a large puddle, cradling his wrist to his chest as the rain soaked him to the bone. The boy winced, attempting to sit up before he was suddenly yanked up by his hood, dangling from gnarly, thin hands.

 He glanced up at his captor, fear in his eyes as a dirt-covered, redheaded teen glared back at him.

The teenager looked him over before looking into his eyes again, two other dirty-looking teens flanking his sides. 

The trio looked more than pissed off at him, and the boy could only tremble in the teen's grip. "A-Asher p-please-" Billy said softly, his voice hoarse as the teen continued to glare at him.

"I swear I wasn't trying to- to-" he said as Asher's lackeys encircled Billy. "You- you were gonna kill the guy I- I couldn't-" 

The raven glanced around him, still holding his wrist close to his chest. "I'm s-sorry-"