Chapter Eight

I had eaten dinner at Gage's house an uncountable amount of times. Being at his house, no matter the reason, was always enjoyable. His immediate family oozed southern hospitality, and around their house, it was definitely displayed in their uncountable amount of pictures that hung on the wall, fragranced candles that always seemed to stay lit, and the snacks that were placed on the kitchen counter for easy access. But this time, it wouldn't be the kind of intimate family dinner I was used to having at Gage's. Paisley and Brady would be there.

At lunch, Gage told us that his parents (Aunt Kristy and Uncle Byron) were hosting this huge dinner with all their friends they play bridge with, none of them having kids around his age. He invited us, pleading for moral support. And because I didn't have anything to do, I obliged.

My dad had to drive me over to Gage's house because he lived in a completely different neighborhood than I did. I told my father that I could've just walked, since it wasn't dark yet and I've been there hundreds of times, but he was worried that I'd get lost. I was actually quite glad he offered; there was no doubt in my mind that I would've accidentally taken a wrong turn somewhere. This place wasn't like New York, where there was people at every street corner that could aid you with directions.

We had finally reached Gage's driveway -which was full of expensive parked cars- and my father said, "If you need a ride home or anything, just call me."
"Alright," I replied, moving closer to him so he could kiss my cheek to say goodbye.

I climbed out of the van, some side dish that my dad made for Aunt Kristy in hand, and made my way up to the door, just like I had plenty of times before.

Snow covered the flowers that were displayed all over the porch, most of them dead due to the constant freezing temperatures. I rang the doorbell and, almost instantaneously, Aunt Kristy opened the door to envelope me into a humongous hug.

"Nicki, it's so nice to see you!" she said through my hair. "Usually when you're here, you're on vacation!"

"I know," I agreed as she pulled back. "It feels very odd."

"What's this?" She pointed to the ceramic bowl that was covered with Saran wrap.

"A side dish that my dad whipped up," I answered, handing it off to her. "I'm not exactly sure what it is."

"Well tell him I said thank you!" she told me, holding the door open for me to walk in. I could smell the cozy aroma of bread and chicken wafting from the kitchen. "Gage and his friends are upstairs in his room. I suppose you've met Paisley and Brady? They're over all the time. Brady was at Christmas dinner. And Paisley," she nodded toward a small and southern-looking house to the left of her, "lives just next door. Her and Gage have been friends since she was born. I believe she's a junior, like you."

"Yeah, she's in my english class."

Aunt Kristy smiled wide, her bright white teeth contrasting perfectly with her dark hair. Rosie looked like a spitting image of her mom. "I'm so glad you have some people at West Cliff High. It must be terrifying going to a new school. But at least you know someone!"

"Yeah." I smiled back, looking up at the stairs that stood to the right of the front door. "I'll go find Gage and them."

"Go do that! And don't forget to thank your father for the dish!"

I almost didn't recognize Gage's room for a moment. The bright red walls had been painted over with blue and the carpet had been taken out and replaced with hardwood flooring. The only thing that seemed similar was the large fish tank against his left wall, full of exotic fish that had to be purchased at a pet store two hours away.

When I walked in, Paisley was sitting on the floor, helping Gage rearrange the large wooden bookshelf that stood beside his bed. Brady played on Gage's iPad (a Christmas present from one or two years ago), lying on a leather futon that stood where an old desk had been previously. I had recognized the desk downstairs in a room by the entryway.