Chapter Twenty-Eight

6:55.

Five minutes until showtime.

Tammy was reading over her lines one last time, and Alexander and I were fixing our costumes. I wore a long, periwinkle-colored gown that looked like it had been transported directly from the 1800s.

Fortunately, I didn't start until the second act, but that didn't make me any less nervous.

6:58.

"Everyone, take your places!" Mrs. Dunbar called out from backstage. The front curtain concealed all the bustling activity on stage. Alexander and Keith-a boy who was terrible at acting but amazing at memorizing-took their places on stage, ready to start the show.

From offstage, I could still see part of the audience. In one of the front rows were Gage and Paisley, reading a yellow pamphlet with the cast list printed on it. There was no sign of Brady. I guess he really didn't forgive me. I couldn't force him to; it was his choice.

There wasn't even a sign of my father, but I didn't really care. He obviously made his decision on who was more important in his life, which is something I'd remember.

But, in the row behind Gage and Paisley, was Tesla with Michael, Aunt Kristy, Uncle Byron, an array of cousins, and rushing to her seat, with Lane behind her, was Rosie. She looked as gorgeous as ever, her shiny dark hair pulled up into a bun on top of her head, and wore a fitting, but conservative, red dress.

Rosie had flown back from her university to see my performance and watch Gage's graduation, which was the next day. After that day, Gage and Brady would officially be college students.

Wow.

"Thirty seconds!" Mrs. Dunbar screeched. I sat down on an available chair beside Tammy, who was still scrambling to completely memorize each line.

7.

The curtain started to part and the audience cheered. Alexander glanced over me and I smiled at him, silently wishing him good luck. He nodded at me, just barely, only noticeable to me because I was looking for it.

"Showtime!"

~~~

With minimal forgotten lines and awkward pauses, our production of The Importance of Being Earnest seemed to be a success.

I stepped off the stage to go back to my seat to retrieve my purse and cell phone before going to the dressing room to change back into my regular clothes.

To my surprise, there was someone sitting on my seat, my purse and cell phone underneath them, and a bouquet of white roses on their lap.

Just who I had wanted to see.

I threw my arms around Brady, who hugged me back and handed me the roses. They were gorgeous.

"I forgive you, Nicolette," he said to me.

Hearing my real name come from his mouth didn't anger me like it usually did when someone else would call me by that name. When he said it, it sounded right. Like that was the name he was supposed to call me. I wasn't Nicki to him.

I was Nicolette.

The true me.

He hugged me tighter and kissed me, and it reminded me of when he asked me to dance at prom.

It didn't feel awkward to be with him right now. It felt like I was meant to be right here, his arms around me.

Only one word to describe the feeling.

Magnetic.

Beside me was Paisley, and it took me a moment to realize who was beside her, talking to her. It was Trent Loggens, and she wasn't making a total fool of herself this time.

"I mean, that interview about me was pretty amazing," he said to her. "You've definitely got a talent for writing."

She blushed. "Well, thanks. Why are you at this play?"

"My sister's in it." He pointed over to Tammy. Tammy was Trent's sister? Didn't see that coming. "Would you like to, uh, go out on a date with me or something sometime?"

Paisley's eyes flickered over to me, making sure I was listening to this conversation. "Sure."

Paisley was actually playing it cool toward Trent Loggens.

"Great, can I have your number?" he asked.

Brady's jaw fell; he was obviously as surprised by this as I was.

He bent down to look me in the eyes. "Now, let's go to The Dairy."