Part Ten: The North Seas

The water was beginning to roil beneath the ship, and Merlin felt sick. They'd been on the boat for two days (most of which he'd slept through), and part of that night, and were nearing the kingdom of Dane. Ariksson had assembled his crew, and they'd begun their voyage less then an hour after they met. But now, storm clouds gathered just ahead and threads of lightning illuminated the angry waves. He could feel the spit accumulating in his mouth and the acrid taste of vomit in his throat. Oh, please, not again... he thought, leaning overboard.

"Briton! You might want to get yourself under the canvas before the rain starts," Braith said, striding over to him.

"I'll take my chances," the young man replied, sitting down on the deck with exhaustion.

"Does it trouble your stomach? Here, untie this - it helps to keep busy," said the lady Dane, taking a seat next to him. She handed the boy a length of rope that had been tied over and over and over again, till it became a writhing ball of chaos.

"Thank you," nodded the young warlock, immediately starting at the task with shaking fingers and unchallenged enthusiasm. Icy mist sprayed down over them and Merlin shivered. It felt like a thousand pins sticking him all at once.

"I know its cold. It's a shame you don't have any thicker coat. You can take mine," Braith said, and put her fur-lined coat around the boy's shoulders. It was warm with body heat and so soft it felt like dreaming. However, Merlin pushed it away.

"No, you'll freeze."

"Nah, Northerners are built for the cold."

"Why are you being so generous all of the sudden?"

"Fine, we can share the coat," she conceded.

"Really. Why?" he asked as she settled herself against him.

"Because I want to make you feel welcome, even though you're very different from my people. I want you to feel safe." Warm silence followed her kind words.

"You know what, I'll take you up on that offer of going inside now," he said as the first drops of rain dripped from the sky. The two got up, and stepped towards the canvas flap.

Lightning flashed nearby, and the two could see a shadow creep across the ship's deck. Their hearts stopped momentarily as they thought what could be casting it. They turned, and were met with the bellowing roar of a gargantuan sea serpent. It's orange eyes raged and a tail freed itself of the water.

"Merlin!" Braith screamed, and shoved him out of the way. CRACK! The creature's tail smashed downward, leaving a huge dent across the longship. Crew members leapt out to see what was going on, and chaos soon ensued. The serpent continued the batter the ship, nearly squashing the little humans in it's wrath. The storm stopped for no one. A dagger glanced of the creature's blubbery tongue when it roared again. "You - listen!" Braith roared bravely, standing tall at the figurehead lookout and away from the others. The monster turned its grotesque head to face its attacker. It bellowed with rage, and shoved its head so close, Braith could smell its rotten-meaty breath. Merlin watched helplessly as his lover stared down the beast. The creature lunged. The girl's eyes flashed the color of polished gold.

She thrust her sword towards the serpent's scaly nose, and it was as if lightning had struck the creature. The beast jerked away from her, howling in pain. Blood streamed from where the creature's fleshy nostril had been cut through, but indignation in its eyes. It reared, and bit down on the ship where the young lady had been mere moments before. But she was smart, having rolled away, with death missing her by only inches as the serpent crunched on the dragon figurehead. The creature waited in the water, and sulked for a minute, before disappearing back into the depths of the wide and wavering ocean.

"What...was that?" asked a stunned Ariksson when he came dazedly out from beneath the canvas. Braith dusted the debris off her hands and spoke matter-of-factly.

"One of those sea serpents my father's always going on about. We must be nearing Dane."

---

The young warlock was glad when he and Braith finally trod on solid ground. The beach at which they landed was shrouded in a thick layer of fog - with just the hint of pine boughs reaching like arms through it. Hearing a muffled disturbance on the sand, the two turned to see a horseman riding out of the gloom. Moments later a spear was pointed at them.

"What brings you here?" asked the rider.

"Tell the King that his daughter has come home," the Dane said, her voice ringing thick with power, as if it came from the very earth itself. The spear was withdrawn and the travelers followed the horseman, on towards the city of Lejre.