43.

AS his beautiful soon-to-be-wife walks down the aisle, Xavier can't help to shed a tear.

            She looks so beautiful in that long white dress, with the sunlight beaming from each of the cathedral windows shining on her every time she passes by each windowpane.

            Xavier knows that he wouldn't trade this moment for anything else in this world.

            After being let down, betrayed, and wounded, why do we still choose love? Because love happens, and it is beautiful when it finds its way to us. Love, eventually, came to him again, but this time, with the real promise of forever.

            And Xavier doesn't have any plans of letting go of this love.

            Allie and her parents stopped in front of Xavier and left kisses on their daughter before handing her to him.

            She didn't shed any tears, unlike Xavier, but her smile is wider than ever.

            "Stop crying," she smilingly teased Xavier while wiping a tear on his cheek that feel from one of his eyes.

            Xavier caught her wrist and planted a kiss on the back of her palm.

            "I love you," he whispered to her.

            "I love you too, and thank you," she whispered back.

            "Thank you for?" tanong ni Xavier.

            "Thank you for staying. Thank you for choosing to be with me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for everything," sagot ni Allie.

            "Are you telling me your vows in advance?" natatawang tanong ni Xavier kaya hinampas siya ni Allie sa braso.

            Tumayo sila nang maayos sa harap ng altar and the priest presiding the wedding called the attention of everyone inside the cathedral, who is admiring the beautiful bride and her handsome groom.

            "Dearly Beloved, we have gathered here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony," panimula ng pari.

            Lakad-takbo ang ginawa ni Xavier habang tumingin-tingin sa mga signages sa paligid patungo sa kailangan niyang puntahan. Damn it, where is it? isip ni Xavier. Bakit ba kasi kung kailan naman siya nagmamadali eh ginagago siya ng oras?

            "Kuya!" tawag ni Xavier sa kanya. "You're not too late yet," dagdag nito.

            Biglang lumabas ng Emergency Room ang isang lalaking doktor. Agad siya nitong linapitan at tinanong ng "Are you the husband?"

            Tumango na lang si Xavier kahit hindi naman sila kasal ni Allie. Fuck, I'm so worried, isip ni Xavier habang pilit na pinapakalma ang sarili.

            "We have managed to prevent her from losing more blood and wala namang ibang naging problema during the operation," nakangiting sagot ng doktor. "They'll take her to a private room now."

            "Oh, thank God!" rinig ni Xavier na sambit ng kanyang inang kasama ni Xaviell na dumating kanina.

            Nakahinga nang maluwag si Xavier pagkatapos niyang marinig ang balita at agad niyang inayos ang mga kailangan para sa maayos na pamamalagi ni Allie sa ospital habang nagpapagaling ito.

            Earlier, while he was fixing some papers in his office, bigla siyang nakatanggap ng tawag na naaksidente si Allie. He is Allie's guardian dito sa Pilipinas dahil wala naman sa bansa ang mga magulang nito kaya siya ang unang tinawagan ng ospital.