9 - Heart and Soul

She and Tim drove to the ball field with an excited Nick in the back seat

She and Tim drove to the ball field with an excited Nick in the back seat. He kept talking to her about baseball. Her knowledge was basic - hit the ball, run around the bases, three outs. She learned Nick like the outfield best, because he was good at catching flies.

Tim said, "You sound like a frog."

Julie looked over to see the grin on Tim's face while Nick whined. "Not bugs, fly balls."

Tim pretended to be surprised. "Oh, fly balls."

Without thinking Julie reached over and lightly slapped his arm.

Tim chuckled and reached out and grabbed her hand and held it. She liked the feel of her hand in his. Unfortunately, he dropped it, so he could turn into the parking lot for the ball field.

Nick jumped out to run to be with his friends. She and Tim joined the others, who arrived behind them and walked to the stands. When Nick pointed up to her, she waved. His smile lit up.

Tim asked, "Are you flirting?"

Julie rolled her eyes. "I don't flirt."

Tim laughed just as the game started. Julie was never one to follow sports, but she watched Nick and cheered for him. He caught a fly ball for an out. He also hit the ball twice. One time he scored a run. Meanwhile, Tim leaned in and whispered what was happening.

The whispering was her favorite part, Tim leaned so close she could smell his aftershave. She didn't think they'd have a chance to kiss over the weekend.

Thankfully, the game wasn't long and Nick was more excited than before, because his team won. He jumped into Tim's arms who held him, as he congratulated him. Once Tim let him down, Nick hugged Julie before getting hugs from both his parents.

Clare who had gone off to be with friends joined up and insisted on riding with Tim on the way home. Nick squabbled with her, but Dr. Burke told Nick to get in his car. Nick obeyed with a pout. Julie knew her father would have yelled and made a scene, while Tim's father just commanded.

They returned from the game and Mrs. Burke served lunch. Their lunch had a different feel from meals with her family. There was a lot of laughing and even the adults joined in. When did she last hear her father laugh? There was also cooperation. Everyone in the family helped clear the table and when Dr. Burke needed more water, he stood up to get it himself. Again Julie couldn't imagine her father ever helping himself. He sat and barked at her mother or even Julie to fetch whatever he needed and her younger brothers were just like him.

Nick complained. "Are we going to camp?"

Mrs. Burke said, "It's too cold to swim. Tomorrow will be warmer."

Nick pouted and Tim instantly tried to cheer him up. "We can play a game."

Nick's face lit up. "Julie too?"