17 - Some Vacation

Bernie didn't come back until almost noon. When he arrived, he was with the waitress who wore shorts and a bikini top.

Clare watched them get out of the car. "What's Tammy doing here?"

Tim looked at his little sister. "Do you know her?"

"She watched us a couple of summers ago."

Every summer, his parents hired a babysitter to watch the kids when mum worked. They usually chose a college kid. Nick ran over to her calling. "Tammy!"

Tim had thought she looked familiar.

"Small town." Artie looked amused.

Kate said, "Looks like Julie has some competition."

Tim looked for Julie, but she was in the cabin. She had been quiet all morning. He felt like they had a fight but didn't know why. Clare stared at Tammy, who was draped over Bernie. Her look and the fact that she asked where Bernie was first thing led him to believe his little sister had fallen for his charm, too.

Nick had a crush on Jules and Clare had one on Bernie. Julie was giving him the cold shoulder and the other two couples were acting like they were in heat with his siblings looking on. His vacation was going downhill fast.

He had mentioned to his mother he would bring the kids home in exchange for a meal. His intention was to bring Julie but only if she wanted to go. He went to find her to ask.

She was reading on the sofa. "Jules, are you all right?"

"Fine."

He sat down beside her and took her hand and brought it to his lips. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just need a break from being with everyone."

"Everyone or just me?" His heart hurt like he was losing her.

"Everyone."

Was he part of everyone?

"Bernie's back. The waitress used to babysit for the kids."

She nodded but was staring at her book.

"Do you want me to leave you so you can read?"

She nodded and he reluctantly left and joined the others. He wanted to take the boat out again but wasn't sure about anything. What did he do? Was he losing her?

 What did he do? Was he losing her?

She watched Tim leave. She didn't want him to, but she was afraid that he was going to finally realize she wasn't in his league and leave her.

When he kissed her hand, it sent shivers down her arm. She felt butterflies any time they were close. Not the nervous kind but the exciting ones which made her feel in places in her body she shouldn't. Maybe her father was right - men, like Tim, don't marry girls like her.

She kept to herself most of the day. Oddly, the only person who noticed beside Tim was Clare.

"Nick's busy with his new girlfriend, but he needs to fight Bernie."