Chapter 2

Landon's POV

Well I was wrong. 

They managed to find us time and time again. For years now we were on the run from the hunters. We hid in cities, in homeless shelters, in the woods, even as people's pets,... But they always found us. Harmonie is now 6 years old and I'm almost 18, which meant I'd get to find my mate. Not that that's my biggest concern at the moment, keeping us safe is. 

If we find our mate they can keep us safe. Orion told me time and time again, but I don't know about that. My mate isn't my biggest concern right now.

The plan at the moment was to try and get some food for Harmonie. She's small and needs the food more than I. We were going to the food court of the mall. I know someone there who will give us left over food or too old food that's actually still good but people won't buy. the only thing they want in return is that we, mostly I, make sure the other homeless people don't bother their customers.

I walked up to the food place. The girl behind the counter looked at me with discust. "What cas I do for you?" she said. 

"Hi, I would like to talk to Jamie." I told her. She rolled her eyes and went to the back. A moment later Jamie, a 30 year old very friendly man, came up to us.

"Hey, Landon. What can I do for you?" He asked with a bright smile on his face. 

"Hey, Jamie. Do you have some left over food?" I asked Jamie. I felt bad for even asking him this. 

"Sure thing, man. You know what I'll give this little girl..." he patted Harmonie on the head "... an ice cream too. Just for you, dude." He said smiling and went to the back. I smiled at Harmonie as she excitedly squealed at the mention of ice cream. 

We live on the streets so it's not like we can have a lot of sugar anyway but Harmonie gets really hyper when she eats it.

Jamie came over to us with a tray with some left overs and 'old' food on it. He smiled as he gave it to us. He smiled and handed Harmonie her vanilla ice cream. 

As we were eating the temperature on the food court seemed to drop 10 degrees. I looked around nervously. People also started noticing the temperature change. 

This isn't good. We should leave, like right now. Orion told me and I agreed. Then I saw what caused the temperature change. About a dozen muscular guys all clothed in black had walked onto the food court. My eyes widened and I whispered to Harmonie to get up. She didn't want to. She was unaware of what was happening and just wanted to eat her ice cream.

The guys were Hunters. I know this because they had the Hunter tattoo on their neck and bows on their backs. After years being chased by Hunters for 4 years now you start to recognise them. I nudged Harmonie again. Orion wimpered. My brain was going into overdrive.

The guys were looking around to find us. If we were fast and left now, maybe they wouldn't see us. 

"Harmonie, we have to leave, right now

"Harmonie, we have to leave, right now." I said to her with urgancy. 

"But I wanna eat my ice cream." Harmonie whined at me. I was biting my lip. We can't stay here. They'll find us and kill us, like they did with our parents. 

Landon. Orion wimpered. Please leave now. They haven't noticed us yet. I agreed with Orion and I did the only thing I could think of in that moment. I picked up Harmonie and threw her over my shoulder. I ran for the exit. Harmonie dropped her ice cream as she realized what was happening. 

The Hunters spotted us and ran after us out of the food court and then out of the mall all together. 

I put Harmonie on my hip and I held her close. We continued to run away from the mall, the town and the Hunters. We entered the woods soon after leaving town. Even though we were running fast the Hunters were catching up on us. Some had taken their bows and were shooting arrows.

Arrows were hitting trees where we were just running. I was scared for Harmonie's life and mine. I coudn't help but be terrified. I couldn't keep running like this for long. Soon one of those arrows will soon hit me. I had to keep going. I had to keep Harmonie safe. 

I kept running and running. While I was running we might've crossed werewolf territory but at the moment I coudn't care less in that moment. I heard wolfs howl somewhere in the woods. 

After a while of running I was getting exhausted and when we entered a clearing deep in the woods I thought we lost the Hunters. I was out of breath from running and carrying Harmonie. I put her down. She looked up at me and hugged my leg. 

I bent down and gave her a hug. I was scared that the Hunters were just hiding behind the tree line or the wolves we heard before were ready to attack us. 

Then I smelt something that wasn't the smell of the woods or the Hunters, not even the smell of Harmonie. My skin crawled at the feeling of being watched. The smell surrounded us. We weren't alone. 

I looked around scared for our lives. Tears filled my eyes. I was so tired, tired from running, from fighting. They got us. I trembled with fear and from exhaustion. I saw golden eyes looking at us from the shadows. 

I was getting desparate and pushed Harmonie behind me. I had to protect her, whatever happened. I would rather die than to break that promise. 

The golden eyes surrounding us seemed to come closer. "Who ever you are, show yourselves." I said trying to sound brave but my voice just sounded like a scared squeak. Be brave Landon. Orion told me.

I took a deep breath and focussed on the golden eyes right in front of me. I took a brave stance. "Show yourself!" I said again this time my voice didn't project my fears. I heard a loud dominant bark. The golden eyes retreated back into the forest. You're doing wel Landon.

I thought the same as Orion for a moment but then about a dozen giant wolves came walking into the clearing from all sides. I was scared shitless. These wolves could easily rip me and my little sister apart. I gulped loudly. These must be werewolves, normal wolves don't get this big I hope. I could talk to werewolves, maybe even convince them to not kill us. Normal wolves not so much.

They growled at us. The golden eyes in front of me hadn't returned nor had there walked a wolf out from there. I stared at the place where the golden eyes had been, scared that if I looked away who ever was there would jump us and kill us. 

From the darkness I was staring at a tall muscular man in his late 30's emerged. Be brave. We have to stay alife, for Harmonie and for our mate. I agreed with Orion on that one. 

"Who are you?" I asked the man, trying to stay brave like Orion had told me. The man let out a laugh.

"You think you are in the position to ask questions?" he asked me mockingly. I had a feeling he didn't want an answer to that question. I looked down. 

"Please just don't hurt my sister." I basically begged the man. "She's only 6. She doesn't deserve it."

"When I know you two aren't a threat I'll think about it." the man said. He coudn't be that cruel could he? He wouldn't hurt an innocent 6 year old girl, right? My breathing quickened and panic filled my eyes just like tears. 

"Please, she's innocent." I pleaded. 

"What are you two doing on my territory?" the man demanded. I pushed a curious Harmonie farther behind me. I had to protect her. 

"We were running from the Hunters. You have to help us. They were right beh-" I was cut off when I felt a burning hot pain in my shoulder. I fell to my knees. I looked down at my shoulder and saw an arrow sticking out of it. I heard someone scream, wolves howl and growl. I heard them attacking but I couldn't see anymore. Everything was black. The pain in my shoulder was almost unbearable. I felt my body hit the ground. "I'm sorry Orion" I mumbled before loosing consciousness.